Charging System issues- GS250t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChicagS25o View Post
    no charger, but amazon is the best deal on that one, so im going to pick that up.

also had a question about an impact driver, found this one on craigslist

any opinions on it? should i stick with a manual one?
    When you get done with the stator, this is the impact driver you need. It's from sears.com, and if the link doesn't work then look up Sears item #00947641000

When I asked for this product at a sears store hardware department, the kid said "yeah, that sound's like a good idea, but we've never sold them." Skip the kid at the store and order it on-line. You'll never regret owning one. Mine has been in my toolbox for over 30 years and gets frequent use.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryA_Texas View Post
      When you get done with the stator, this is the impact driver you need. It's from sears.com, and if the link doesn't work then look up Sears item #00947641000

When I asked for this product at a sears store hardware department, the kid said "yeah, that sound's like a good idea, but we've never sold them." Skip the kid at the store and order it on-line. You'll never regret owning one. Mine has been in my toolbox for over 30 years and gets frequent use.
      thanks for the link. Ive bought the impact driver and im just waiting on the stator to arrive.

Comment

A little update:

The stator arrived last night (from RM Stator), i have it installed. In the time i was waiting for it to come i cleaned up the crankcase cover real good.

Just waiting on the crankcase gasket to come from bikebandit along with some oil filters/o-rings...unfortunately those wont be arriving til wednesday.

So in the meantime i guess its back to polishing......

Comment

And how did the old stator look? Cooked?

Again, have a look at the wiring harness under the seat; there were pinch points there inside the wrapped harness that triggered the R/R and stator failures I saw on my 250.
          Mark Fisher
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mf70 View Post
            And how did the old stator look? Cooked?

Again, have a look at the wiring harness under the seat; there were pinch points there inside the wrapped harness that triggered the R/R and stator failures I saw on my 250.
            The stator looked terrible, it was cooked, parts of the wiring and insulation that connected to the stator itself were literally crispy. im planning on uploading some pics very soon.

as far as the wiring harness goes- that was my intial point of investigation. everything looks ok, but i redid all of the connections with insulated blade connectors. there was nothing really wrong with the old ones, but the clear insulation was so filthy, i had to cut it open to make sure it wasnt burned.

Comment

Good news- the stator came a day early; i installed it and gave the bike an oil change.

It started right up and i checked the DC volts from the battery, at idle it was 14.72. I flipped on the lights and idled it and it was at 14.25. So it looks like everything is charging correctly.

Just for the sake of making sure, i ran thru a few of Basscliff's test:

1. The resistance between each stator leg was .5 ohms, they were all equal.

2. There was also no resistance with any leg when i tested the continuity to the ground.

3. Finally at 4000rpm the AC volts from each leg were all equal, at 68 AC volts.

So everything appears to be operating properly. I think i can close the books on this one unless anyone has input otherwise?
              Last edited by Guest; 12-17-2008, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Hey Mr. ChicagS25o!

Nice work! It seems you have solved your charging issues. Have you run a dedicated ground wire from the r/r to the negative terminal of the battery? Have you cleaned all of the electrical connections and grounds? These will go a long way to ensure the health of your charging system. Good going.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  Have you run a dedicated ground wire from the r/r to the negative terminal of the battery? Have you cleaned all of the electrical connections and grounds?
                  I sure did.

i cleaned up and replaced the connections with the blade connectors.

And then also, a guy i know had this pictorial gudie, said to run that ground right to the (-) terminal, so i followed his advice and did that

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagS25o View Post
                    I sure did.

i cleaned up and replaced the connections with the blade connectors.

And then also, a guy i know had this pictorial gudie, said to run that ground right to the (-) terminal, so i followed his advice and did that
                    OK then. I hope that guy knew what he was talking about.

Thanks for sharing your success story.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                    X