Winterizing after carb removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winterizing after carb removal

So, the bike will be stationary until April or so and I don't have a garage. I'm hoping to build some sort of tarp shelter for the thing on a bit of slab in my back yard but I'm worried about rain and moisture getting into the engine when I pull the carbs. My question is, what can I do to plug up the holes after I remove the carbs and what else might I want to do to winterize the bike?

BTW - I live in Olympia, Wa. It rains just about every day from now until March. Blowing rain is pretty common. Freezing is not terribly common and we might get one or two snows a year. The bike isn't up for any beauty contests and rust isn't a huge concern (she already has plenty ) but weather related mechanical problems are.

-nick

park it in the house, like i do haha
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Do like I did... leave the rubber boots connected to the engine and take a piece of rubber tubing (car innertube) cover the hole in the boot and secure it with the clamp. It may not seal it completely but it's all I had.

Comment

Cover the ex pipe ends too

Comment

Alright, I just got the carbs out and boy howdy was that easier than last time. Last time I think it took me 3 hours (btw - removing carbs without WD-40 = bonerific), this time (after going to the store to buy a can of WD-40 ) it took me about 15 minutes. And the best part, the caps on the air screws are already removed on my carbs... yippie!!!!!

So the bike, with the gas tank and seat removed, is covered with a tarp, boots were left on the engine with paper towel in the boots to keep water out. I see that "cover the exhaust pipes", I'll do that too. Paper towel likely isn't the best thing, I'll try to replace them with something better.

Anything else? -nick

Comment

I'm thinking paper towels will wick moisture in, and hold it there, so finding something else sounds like a good idea. I bit of plastic wrap from the kitchen should do. Nitrile gloves would be more durable, if you have some.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

My .02 worth from someone who's never had a garage.

Soak 4 medium to large rags in oil, wring out by hand and stuff one each in the intake ports where the carbs mount up to the engine. That will keep out the moisture and any little critters or bugs that might find their way to that part of the bike. Buy one large can of WD-40 and spray the hell out of the entire bike, under the seat, the complete engine, everything. Be sure to cover the tires with a towel or something similiar before you spray near there and don't get any on the brake pads. If you over spray on the rotors, just be sure to wipe them off real good. I'm assuming you've already taken the battery out and put it on a trickle charger of some type. Pour some Stabil in the gas tank, cover the bike the best you can and you're done. Come Spring, wash the bike REAL good but expect some smoke from your engine and pipes as they burn off the WD-40 the first time you start it up. Don't use anything other than WD-40. That was developed to be a Water Displacer, hence the name.

Good luck.

Don

Comment

Working...
              X