Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using Castrol 4 stroke motorcycle oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using Castrol 4 stroke motorcycle oil?

I just saw it at Wal-Mart for $1.98 a quart?

There's gonna be a ton of opinions on this one, so here's
    mine. With an older bike I like using a good quality semi-synthetic
    oil. Specifically I use Bel-Ray 20w-50 semi-synthetic, it runs cooler
    and holds up better. Just make sure it is made for cycles, having
    a wet clutch makes a difference. Brian

Comment

I see no reason not to use it

Comment

Castrol bike oil should be fine. There are various sorts, but all should be ok.

Comment

Castrol.....Good stuff !!

I've used Castrol GTX 20w- 50 regular automotive oil type for 15 years. I have had 0 trouble at 72,565 miles..............Chilly.

Comment

There's a difference between regular automotive oil and synthetic automotive oil. The latter contains anti-friction additives that don't work
            with your clutch. That's why they make transmission fluid, or in this case
            oil made for wet clutches (motorcycles). Brian

Comment

Re: Castrol.....Good stuff !!

Me too, for 30+ years. I've used it in all my bikes and cars, trucks.....never had any problems with it. Good ol GTX20w50 :-)

Earl

Originally posted by chilly56
              I've used Castrol GTX 20w- 50 regular automotive oil type for 15 years. I have had 0 trouble at 72,565 miles..............Chilly.
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

OIL

I've never used anything but regular automotive oil in any of my 4-stroke bikes, never a problem. Alway use B&M Trick Shift in the transmissions of my 2-strokes (runs cooler).

Comment

See if you can a copy of the motorcycle consumer news oil test from a few years ago....you won`t use auto oil with the star burst symbol again. Oil that you used for the last 15 years has been changed due to EPA regulations....I used kendall GT 1...loved it but I sure don`t run it now.

Comment

Earl Said:

I've used it in all my bikes and cars, trucks.....never had any problems with it. Good ol GTX20w50
                    Me too!! No Problems at all!! My clutch problems are un-related to the oil, just wear and tear!!

Comment

The whole debate over MC vs. Car oil is overblown. Most car oils don't have much in the way of friction modifers in them. Only special "High Mileage" High Wear" oils have lots of them. Motorcycle Consumer News did a great test of MC and Car oils a few years ago, here's the link:

Good info, and the viscosity results surprised me.

Also, about different filters:

Comment

The oil article is great. It looks like the filter article was written sbout auto spin on types. I only say this because the fram filter shown does look trashey. The fram that i have been using in my gs1100 looks exactly like the filter that suzuki sells us and comes with a rubber gasket also.

Comment

I think the fram filters like we use in the GS series are fine....they do not have a check valve in them(part #6018) as used in most modern suzuki`s so I stay away from thier spin on filters. I usually order my filters and use the hiflow brand. Made in europe and to oem specs. On the suzuki spin on filter even the filter wrench works and have the check valve(btw the check valve is to hold pressure in the filter so you do not get a vacum in your oil system every time you fire your bike up). I also use them in every bike I own...much cheaper than fram. 8)

Comment

There is a much later oil test done by Don Smith probably 2 years ago. Since this 1994 article the auto oils have been changed. It also was in motorcycle consumer news. I will mail him and see if I can get the article.

Comment

I use Fram filters in my 2V 1000S.
                              They come with the gasket. I usually buy a couple at a time.
                              I get them for about $4 US.

I use Castrol 10W-40 in the spring then 20W-50 in summer.
                              I also have an oil cooler.
                              No problems. I have a Barnett clutch that's still holding up after about 10K
                              on it. It only slips when I make it slip.

Keith
                              Keith
                              -------------------------------------------
                              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
                              X