3.5 turns back? (air screw)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.5 turns back? (air screw)

So I'm looking at my carb specs that I got from this page and I just want to make sure I understand. 3.5 turns back on the air screw (mixture screw, what have you) is the general starting point for air screw adjustment. Does that mean 3.5 turns back from reasonably snug to the bottom? -nick

NOT "reasonably snug".

Just "lightly seated".

Opinions vary between two and three turns, 3.5 seems a bit much. Of course, this is just a starting point. After the bike is warmed up, you will tweak them to perfection.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

GS550 (80-82) the specs are for the CV's

idle r/min 1100-+/-100r/min
      carb mik bs32ss (4 seprate carbs)
      id no 47160 (us) 47170 (can)
      bore size 32 (1.26)
      float height 22.4.+/-1.0 (0.88 +/-0.04)
      fuel level 5.0+/-0.5 (0.20 +/-0.04)
      main jet #92.5
      main air jet 1.6
      jet needle (4bel2 us model) (5f42-3rd notch canadian adjusable needle)
      needle jet x-6
      pilot jet #40
      throttle valve #135
      by pass (0.9, 0.7, 0.7 us model) (1.0,0.8,0.8 canadian)
      pilot outlet 0.7
      valve seat 2.0
      starter jet #35
      pilot screw 3.5 turns back (mixture screw)
      pilot air jet (us model #150) (#120 canadian)

these setting apply to all 550 models with the CV style carbs,
      Me personaly would try to get the carbs as close to the the canadian specs
      as possable the US models were lean out so much to meet emissions. the candian specs give the bike a hardier fuel supply.

That is where I'm getting my info from. I just finished my first carb (after practicing on the 650 carbs), "snugged" the mixture screw (not tight or anything, just to where it seemed to want to stop) and backed it up 3.5 turns per the instructions there.

But that's the idea, right? And then get the bike warmed up and tweak it once its warm... does it matter which carb I begin with? -nick

Comment

My old '81 550T ran best with the screws at 3.5 turns. That said, they should be tweaked for best running as a matter of course.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Clumzi View Post
          ... does it matter which carb I begin with? -nick
          For mixture tweaking, order is not important.

For synchronizing the carbs, the suggested order is to match #2 to #3 (the 'master' carb), then #1 about 0.5cm above 2&3, then #4 to match #1.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

idle screws

hmmm looks like this is where im going to be in a day or so. i dont know even if my 550 is going to run or not, i would be happy if it just fired.

but how ever i have a new head gasket for it and i bought the little washers seals that go in each corner because they came off my old gasket. the new one has what looks like the seals made into it already attached. so do i need to put in the 4 single ones that were seperate from my old gasket??

Comment

Tighten 'em down 'til they snap and then back them off half a turn.

This was my dad's favourite joke when I was kid (if I asked him any technical question).

Comment

Give it a go at 3.5 turns, but remember the idea of fine tuning is to get a smooth even idle. Search the forum for highest idle method. Basically adjust the mixture screw for each cylinder until the highest idle speed is observed. At this point, turn the idle speed screw back to normal idle speed (1100 rpms or so) and adjust next carb again to highest speed.

I have a hard time either hearing the rpm change or seeing the tach movement. If this is the case, you may just set the mixture screws at a certain level and leave them alone. I have used colortune spark plugs with some success but don't believe it is truly necessary. You can usually get them close enough by observing how smooth engine idles and sounds. Hope this makes some sense, once you have done it a few times, it get easier to tell.

Comment

Working...
                X