No announcement yet.

83 550e help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dry plug says you arent' getting gas to that cylinder. Blow out that carb again with carb cleaner. On the airbox side of the carbs put the straw from the carb cleaner in the air jets and make sure it comes out the pilot jet and the main jet.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      The dry plug says you arent' getting gas to that cylinder. Blow out that carb again with carb cleaner. On the airbox side of the carbs put the straw from the carb cleaner in the air jets and make sure it comes out the pilot jet and the main jet.
      Thanks, I did that, took just the jets out for # 2 cyl. . Even though I could see light through the pilot air jet I worked on it bit with fine wire, varsol and air.

The bike sounds really sweet now, all four pipes are hot hot. I'm going to do some reading on vacuum sync-ing and do that a bit into the winter. I've just got fork seals and a siezed brake caliper to address and this thing is done.

A big thanks to everyone that added to this thread

Comment

Another lesson in carb cleaning. It's amazing how those little jets can bugger up the whole works with just the slightest bit of missed schmutz.

Well done on gettin' that bike a step closer to road worthy!

Comment

Originally posted by MelodicMetalGod View Post
          Another lesson in carb cleaning. It's amazing how those little jets can bugger up the whole works with just the slightest bit of missed schmutz.

Well done on gettin' that bike a step closer to road worthy!

Thanks and yes I learned my lesson. I was really not wanting to pull the carbs again but glad I stuck with it. Next gunked up carbs I'll know how much time to spend on the jets.

Comment

Next set of carbs you work on, figure on most of a week to do the entire job.

First day you clean the rack and disassemble the carbs, dip the first one.
            Second day you get the first carb out, dip the second carb, then clean the jets and re-assemble the first carb.
            Third day you get the second carb out, dip the third, etc.
            Fourth day you get the third carb out, etc.
            Fifth day you get the fourth carb out, clean the jets and re-assemble. Now you can re-assemble the rack and do your bench sync. If you are still sane, you can get the carbs back onto the bike, then vacuum sync.

Tips:
            - To clean the little holes in the jets, strip back some 12-gauge wire, use one strand of copper to poke through the holes.
            - Safety glasses. Spraying carb cleaner into some of the holes will bring spray right back to you.
            - Before adjusting float height, make sure both floats are the same height.
            - You can test your CV carbs without installing the airbox. Fold a shop rag in half, drape it over the carb inlets. Use tie-wraps to hold the rag to the outer carbs, holding it taut over the inner carbs (yeah, I know you only have two two-barrel carbs). This will even let you go for a ride around the block, but it's not accurate enough for jetting checks.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X