gasket sealer: yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gasket sealer: yes or no?

should i use gasket sealer to seal a new valve cover gasket and breather gasket? if so what kind?

if it is a paper gasket some just spray wd40 on it so a sealer is not needed except on the half moon plugs whihc usually drip a little. (unless it states to use some in the manual )

You usually don't need it on the breather gasket i just sprayed some wd40 on mine and it sealed fine.

The black permatex brand is good.

I'd recomend the silicone valve cover gaskets over the paper ones, much better if you have to take the cover off more than once or when you have to adjust your valves.

Comment

NONE of the gaskets need any sealer of any kind !!!!! A light spray of WD40 or oil is all that is necessary The rubber 1/2 moon plugs should get a VERY small dab of sealer

Comment

No sealer - I grease mine rather than WD 40 as above -smear a dab of lithium grease along the surface of the gasket on both sides
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
          No sealer - I grease mine rather than WD 40 as above -smear a dab of lithium grease along the surface of the gasket on both sides
          Second the no sealer...I've changed them on the 1100G and the 1100ES with slightly differet bolt patterns and also used a light coat of grease which helps keep the gasket in place while lining up the cover and 20 bolts.
          That gasket is thin in spots so take your time and place it in carefully and be sure you line up the bolts while keeping the cover slightly away from the head so it lays in there perfect.

Comment

well thats a definitive. lol...where exactly should i put the sealer on the 1/2 moons? the round part or flat part?

Comment

Originally posted by lordcannon88 View Post
              well thats a definitive. lol...where exactly should i put the sealer on the 1/2 moons? the round part or flat part?
              Both if u want a good seal. Sometimes i smear some sealeant along the flat surface near the 1/2 moons. Depending how high they sit in the head.

Comment

Originally posted by lordcannon88 View Post
                I will add to the "definitive" part, then answer your question.

You can put sealer anywhere you want on the half-moons, but if you only do the round part, they will stay in place when you lift the valve cover to check your valve clearances. If you also put sealer on the top of the half-moon, you are almost guaranteed that you will rip a gasket when removing the cover.

In the "for what it's worth" department ... when I remove the valve cover, I try to leave the gasket with the head, anyway. It reduces the chance of getting it caught and tearing it when sliding the cover out of the way and it also makes the cover just that much thinner. Sometimes you need that little bit of room to get the cover out.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

When i adjusted my valves i ordered a valve gasket and breather gasket from "real gaskets" in TN. They are silicone, i think, and are reusable a few times. I got the recommendations from a few members here and so far they work great. Do a search here and i'm sure you'll get multiple hits for there website.
                  1979 GS850G
                  2004 SV650N track bike
                  2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                  LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

I already ordered my gaskets when i heard about real gaskets, so thats kind of a bummer. there the same prices as OEM too. O well when the cork one dies ill use a real gasket. I sealed completely around the half moons just to be safe. I am letting engine degreaser soak in overnight then ill wash the goop off and start her up and check for leaks. thanks for everyones help.

Comment

Working...
                    X