Broken Jet needle GS650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Jet needle GS650

I had one of those moments today. I was tapping the needle jet out of a carb (1981 GS650G) and heard the 'tink' of something hitting the ground. It was 1/2 of the jet. I believe I must have said "Oh, my goodness, it's not supposed to do that!" Or something similar.

Now, anyone got a spare?

Bike Bandit has the item listed for $16.50. No problem buying a replacement, but should I buy all FOUR so I know they are matched. Are they enough the same (for an '81 650) that I can just get one. I have a box of carb parts, but none look even close to the hole pattern. Can't sub.

I might have a third option. I have a set off of a 750. Might consider pulling them out. At least they'd all 4 be the same, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't run right. Any thoughts?
    From 650 carb needle jet">

Shouldn't have any problem just replacing one!

Comment

According to Bike Bandit the jet needle is common only to the 81-83 650's.

Comment

Take a good look at the ID of the other 3. I just replaced all 4 of mine because the ID's were VERY corroded & they weren't metering fuel correctly.

Of course, it took me weeks of carb tweaking to realize that there was NO WAY i could get my #3 carb to not run rich

Here's the thread in case you can't sleep, the last page has the nice pics of the BAD needle jet...

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Good luck,
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

broken jet

I have a set of carbs I have been robbing parts from. 82 gs 650L. I could spare one if your looking for a deal. Peace.Bob

Comment

ordered new jet

Thanks, guys. While I'd love to pick up one cheap, I already ordered a new one from ProSource. I'm a little concerned about the other three now, but it's too late at night to go look. I'll check tomorrow. I already got the o-rings and wanted to have this thing done yesterday...

As Marvin the Martian would say:

"Delays, Delays"

Comment

Working...
            X