Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I determine if they are Progressive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I determine if they are Progressive?

I have a newly purchased 821100E. The PO mentioned he had progressive springs installed. How would I physically know the difference between the stock and progressive?

The GS1100E is a completely knew feel compared to my 650 (obviously), so I'm kinda at a loss for feal when riding.

If the front end seems firm without air in the forks, you have Progressive springs; the stock springs are weak since Suzuki expected people to add air.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by maro View Post
      I have a newly purchased 821100E. The PO mentioned he had progressive springs installed. How would I physically know the difference between the stock and progressive?

The GS1100E is a completely knew feel compared to my 650 (obviously), so I'm kinda at a loss for feal when riding.
      Originally posted by isleoman
      I think progressive in this sense just means the springs in your front end have varying coil spacing. So the coils are widely spaced at one end getting more tightly spaced near the other end.

To verify just pull the springs out and look at them. Probably get by with just checking just one if you just want to verify, but it wouldn't hurt to change your fork oil while your at it. Probably about a 2 to 3 hour job to change the fluid.
      The term 'progressive' as it pertains to fork springs has two meanings. Spelled with a lower case 'p' it refers to springs that are progressively wound, as isleoman states above. When spelled with an upper case 'P' it refers to springs manufactured by Progressive Suspension, which are also progressively wound. I'm not sure about the '82 GS1100E but the '83 model had progressively wound springs from the factory. Progressive Suspension's aftermarket springs are stiffer than the stock springs and make a noticeable improvement to the soft stock front end. I'm pretty sure the Progressive Suspension springs are different in length compared to the stock springs. I don't know the length specs off the top of my head but I could look through my manuals and paperwork tomorrow if it would help.

Thanks,
      Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

If you take the bike off the centerstand and sit on it, and the front fork doesn't immediately sag through most of the available suspension travel, it's got new fork springs. The stock front fork springs are extremely inadequate, and the difference is not at all subtle.

Whether the preload is set up properly for you is another matter... Google "motorcycle suspension setup" and "setting fork sag" for more info.

It is difficult to tell the difference between stock and Progressive springs unless you have them side-by-side. Their effects are very different, but one big spring looks about like any other.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have nothing to add. Just wanted to say Howdy to Joe and Brian.
          Greg Reddick-Iowa

Comment

"It is difficult to tell the difference between stock and Progressive springs unless you have them side-by-side. Their effects are very different, but one big spring looks about like any other."

Progressive (bottom) looks to have a heavier spring steel than the stock spring (top) and is wound pretty tight on one end.

Question: Who thinks by this picture that the stock spring is wound clockwise and the Progressive is wound counter clockwise. ?????

Last edited by bonanzadave; 11-16-2008, 02:06 PM.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by gregr View Post
              Greg Reddick-Iowa
              Greg,

Good to hear from you! How's the 1100E doing?

Thanks,
              Joe

*(sorry for the hijack)...................now back to your regularly scheduled motorcycle thread...............*
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                Progressive (bottom) looks to have a heavier spring steel than the stock spring (top) and is wound pretty tight on one end.

Question: Who thinks by this picture that the stock spring is wound clockwise and the Progressive is wound counter clockwise. ?????

There you have it, folks! Side-by-side, the difference is obvious. With no comparison handy, it's a little harder.

You know, it does look like they're wound in different directions. Wonder if that's a reliable indicator?

I still think it would be dead easy to tell the difference just by sitting on the bike. Plus, you don't have to take anything apart. The stock springs are just that pitiful.
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by gregr View Post
                  Greg Reddick-Iowa
                  Howdy back at ya!

Hope you can make it to the Brown County, Indiana rally in May. It's worth the trip.
                  Eat more venison.

Comment

I just replaced the woefully inadequate fork springs in my 750E with Progressives. On that particular model, it's quite easy to tell if the stock springs are still in there. The stock setup is two seperate springs of different strength with a spacer between them. There is also no preload with the factory springs, air is supposed to do that.

On the 750E, the single Progressive springs are about 1" longer than the two factory springs combined, and automatically are preloaded once the fork caps are tightened down on them.

The difference in fork actuation between the two setups is huge.
                    sigpic

SUZUKI:
                    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

very helpful replys. thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X