X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixture screw extraction FAIL

Take that, you fascist carb body.

1981 GS550L

I've been dealing with this carb since I got this machine.

Ever since I properly cleaned my carbs and airbox, it's been way too lean. It had to be fixed.
    The mixture screw has been frozen since I got the thing, and the combined total amount of time it has soaked overnight in pb blaster would probably come out to a couple of weeks.

Heated it, tried to tigthen, loosen, on and on and on and on. I decided that it was one with the carb body.

It was, more or less.

One way or the other, it had to come out.

So, does anyone have a compatable #4 carb for a 81 550, 650 or 750 they can part with? *rimshot*
    A whole rack would be fine, too. Gotta have what I gotta have.

I'll repost in Want To Buy, but the reason this is technical:
    I think sometimes it's just safe to say that the screw ain't comin' out.

I think I can safely blame this on my PO. The guy had the carbs off before, and it looks to me like the dropped this one. The area that is broken off was kind of egged in. I was hoping that IF I could get that screw loose, and slowly and methodically back it out, I could return the aluminum to it's former shape.

I didn't even get that far.

I got it drilled and got a screw extractor (not an EZ out, but the square-shaft screw extractor) in it. Heated it, and started cranking.

It felt like it was about to budge, I got excited, and then BOOYAKASHA!
    Aw, damn... nevermind... it freakin broke.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-16-2008, 11:12 AM. Reason: you can dance if you wanna.

Hahahah!!!!

I laugh at life, not you. I did something at lot like that to one of the 650 carbs I bought to sort of practice on before attacking my 550 carbs. Not quite that drastic, I love that damn picture.

Long story short, I'm 95% sure I can hook you up with a 650 rack with one of the carb bodies (#2 I think) looking a bit like that picture below. The rest should be fine. I wrecked mine because a screw head got stuck in the EPA cap over the mixture screw and I couldn't drill the sucker out after that. I'm going to finish mine today/tomorrow, PM in the next few days and I can tell you for sure whether or not I can send them to you. -nick

Comment

Yeah, all you can do is laugh.
      Thanks, man. I'll be in contact with you.

Comment

also stuck

I know how you feel . Those screws are really nasty!!!
        I just decided to leave mine alone and hope the factory set them right! I've got two that never moved.

Comment

Wow does this look like what you are looking for??

According to Bike Bandit 80 / 81's are the same P/N's

Houdini

Comment

Next time dremmel off the tunnel leading to the screw and put a good notch in it. Heat it first and get it out with a good fitting screwdriver.
            This has been successful for me at least 10 times now.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Houdini View Post
              Wow does this look like what you are looking for??

According to Bike Bandit 80 / 81's are the same P/N's

Houdini
              Awesome.
              Thanks, man.
              I've got a diaphragm that's looking kinda rough (I can safely blame that on PO as well), so a completely stripped body, while it would work for me right now, would just add to the eventual cost of me buying another rack or complete number 4 for parts.

All this did was elevate my priority level.

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              Next time dremmel off the tunnel leading to the screw and put a good notch in it. Heat it first and get it out with a good fitting screwdriver.
              This has been successful for me at least 10 times now.

Of course. The Dremel. How could I forget? That's a brilliant idea-- just chop off that stinking tunnel. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X