Taking Engine out...is this hard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking Engine out...is this hard?

One of those "to-do" items in the restoration of my bike is to eventually take my engine out...and have it glass beaded. Question: is this a two person job?

On an 1100? I wouldn't do it alone, unless you have expensive shop equipment. It's a two-man job.

Nick

Comment

Rudi,
      I pulled mine by myself, but I wouldn't again.
      I built a platform about 1/4" taller than the lower engine mounts which I set next to the bike, on the right side. Then used a wide piece of wood on the floorjack and lifted the engine to the same height as the platform.
      Even with having what appeared to be a simple "slide it over" job it was quite a tussle. Almost lost control of it a couple of times.
      Definately get a buddy to help.

Comment

I'll get someone to help me when the time comes. Thanks!

Rudi

Comment

On a somewhat related note, does one have to take the engine out to get the head off? (GS700ES)

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
            On a somewhat related note, does one have to take the engine out to get the head off? (GS700ES)
            I'm not sure...but I do have the original shop manual...and it has a section on how to take the engine out exactly. I'll check it and get back to you. (unless someone else answers before me)

Rudi

Comment

Yeah, my manual assumes that the engine is out when you're doing work on it. I would rather not go thru the extra effort though, if I can help it.

Comment

you can pull the heads and cylinders without pulling the engine

Comment

Very good, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X