Handlebar mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handlebar mounts

Thought I'd replace the handlebars from stock. Imagine my suprise when I undid the risers (keepers?) and found this pattern

?

This was on both sides. Should I get the grooves remachined? or what?

If you look at your stock bars the groves match them.
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

You're right. The bars do have matching grooves.

Am I correct then that these aluminum parts were smooth to begin with and then were "pressed" by tightening the mounts down?

Comment

I believe that the groves are there to keep the bars tight and locked so that they can't rotate forward or backward. I'm guessing that they were made that way.
        1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
        The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by snark View Post
          I believe that the groves are there to keep the bars tight and locked so that they can't rotate forward or backward. I'm guessing that they were made that way.
          Yes, it is to improve the clamping grip on the bars. The last thing you want is the bars rotating forward during a panic stop...

Mark

Comment

Apparently I didn't ask the right question the first time, but I've eventually got the answer.

Based on the responses, I should either a): machine these out again; or b) Use a dremel to cut new ones in.

My memory is getting fuzzy, but I think I used a hacksaw once to cut some new grooves in years ago.

Comment

I'd leave them alone. They will just bite into the new bars, which is what you want.
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                I'd leave them alone. They will just bite into the new bars, which is what you want.
                Right. Don't attack these with a Dremel or anything. Just slap the new bar in place and tighten to spec (don't over-tighten). Don't worry -- they'll be plenty secure.

Basically, you're thinking way too much...
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

THanks for the advice. I do have a tendency to do exactly that, especially when I'm not sidetracked by riding .

Comment

Most if not all aftermarket bars don't have the grooves and they stay put just fine - particularly if you go for a lower set of bars since there will be less leverage on them to rotate.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The mounts are smooth from the factory The grouves are cut into them by the bars themself

Comment

This thread is groovy.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                          The mounts are smooth from the factory The grouves are cut into them by the bars themself
                          I still wouldn't do anything. You might end up removing too much metal and cause them not to grab as good. Bolt on your new bars and ride!
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Thanks!

Be doing that.

Comment

Working...
                            X