Search Feature Came in real handy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search Feature Came in real handy

I am new to The GS Resources but I have been lurking for quite some time.

I have learned a lot from the forums and has saved me with my motorcycle.

I have two 1983 GS450GA Suzukimatic motorcycles. One is rusty and looks shot but it runs I bought that one in May of this year. The other is the same model but in much nicer shape it has around 8900 miles to this day. I bought this one in Sept of this year.

Well the nicer one had me going with a few problems. Just yesterday I finished working on the bike. I had a problem of the bike running a little rough after a long ride and when it got a little warm. I would remove the left cylinder spark plug wire and nothing would change. Then I would replace the left back and then remove the right side wire and it would shut down. The bike was running on one cylinder. After checking the SPark plugs and Coils they were good. Then removed tank and there was fuel flowing correctly(petcock fine). I then removed carbs. Soon found out that the Choke plunger screw was loose and was dangling next to the carb. Just in case that was not only the problem I took apart the carb. Everithing else was fine and clean. Previous owner did a good job of the Carb cleaning. Then I checked the Intakes after reading about that gasket going bad. As soon as I put the screwdriver to the screws I found out another problem . The intake manifold screws were loose. Sure enough I put everything back together and it started right up and I drove it on the freeway for good measure and it felt better than before.

About a week ago I had a problem with the bike not charging. After more research on this website I found the Alternator/stator being bad and went and cannabalized my older rusty GS450GA. ALthough rusty and looking really rough It did have a good working alternator/stator. The how to on the alternator/stator on the website helped me put it in in no time. I did use gasket paper to make a gasket and it worked fine.

The only thing that I did not do myself was the valves. I sent that out about a month ago to a local shop to do that. Now after all my wrenching on the bike I will most likely do the valves myself next time around.

Thanks to The GS Resources.

Congratulations !!

You did all that and didn't even ask a question !!! I think that is just fantastic !! That's what a little research and reading can do.

Nice job !!!!! How's that automatic working for you ? I've heard they had a way of eating up starters. (I think it was starters)

Nice looking bike as well !!
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Problem returned Rough Idle after long ride

I had everthing running fine till my bike started up again. My bike would run fine. It is a 1983 GS450 GAD. The two cylinder suzukimatic. The bike would run fine until it would get hot. Then one day It would run rough when cold. I went back to the forum and did some searches. I did a few tests again. petcock was fine, coils looked fine( even clipped a little of the spark plug wire to get better contact), took off the Carbs and replaced the intake o-rings and exhaust gasket. I checked the Igniter, signal generater and was left with the conclusion that the valves were the culprit. I had just sent the valves(????) and the carb synch to be done at a local shop. Since that was the only thing left I said what the heck. I should Dive in and check them myself. I had purchase the Haynes manual and Even got lucky in Finding a Factory Service manual From ebay . After reading the "how to" I found the valves to be a little tight. Ordered shims from Z1enterprises . i installed them and put everything back together. It took me awhile but I even made a Valve cover gasket from gasket maker paper. I saw a post on that here too and did one and it worked fine no leaks so far. Well after everything was on I fired her up.

Sounded better but still rough idle and stalling in gear. I gave up and called it a day. this was friday 1/17 and Returned 1/19 today with a clearer head.

I went back and checked the intakes and exhaust and found the left exhaust hot but not hot enough. Actually burned myself on exhaust from cylinder 2. I remembered a poster mention that the coils sometimes give a false reading. Since I have a parts bike I went to get both coils and put them on the newer bike. Well as soon as I put the parts bike coil on the bike, it started immediately and revved way up. I knew that I found the problem. i had to lower the idle adjustment on the carb, since it was set high cause it was only running on one cylinder. Now both cylinder were firing. took it for a test drive and it solved the problem. Now I will wait to take a longer test drive and see how the coil holds up. Hopefully I don;t have to buy somenew ones.

Thanks AGAIN everyone for those bits and pieces of advice on the GS Resources. Now I can go out and enjoy my bike .

Comment

Thanks for using the search. Things do get a bit repetitive around here sometimes.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Welcome, you will find a wealth of information from these guys, they know GS' like no one else.
          Basscliff should be around shortly to give you your official welcome and a mine of links to all the info you could ever wish for.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!

Did somebody mention my name?

Hi Mr. FunRide,

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Actually, it sounds as if you've found my website already. Just help yourself, you've been doing a great job so far. that's just about the best example of a GS450GA I've ever seen. Thanks for joining us.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

never too late to learn

Thanks Basscliff and everyone else. Your right I have been learning from this and the BikeCliff website. I am getting comfortable with working on my bikes. Aside from the GS450GA I Currently have a Suzuki DR200 and a Yamaha Vino125 scooter . I really enjoy them but was hesitant on doing major servicing aside from oil changes and stuff. It is funny cause I can do the timing chain on a Honda civic and Toyota Pickup but chicken out on the motorcycles until now. I sent those out to the local dealer to have the valves done on just a few months ago. Now I can do them all myself.

Reminds me of my 2007 Ducati 695 that I sold cause I knew nothing of the basic workings of the motor. Every little hiccup had me worried, Plus the fact that I had to drive 2+hrs to get it serviced at the nearest Ducati Dealer. No dealer was available locally. The Ducati was nice even though it had a few issues due to it being the first year out an all . It jsut needed some fine tuning . It's all good now cause I have a motorcycle that i am proud of just as much as my old 695.

Comment

Working...
              X