Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can you tell if your clutch is going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can you tell if your clutch is going?

I'm assuming it would be the same as a car...but how do you know if your motorcycle clutch is going?

Secondly, what would a ballpark $$ figure be to replace it via a typically priced mechanic?

Rudi

They become cold and distant and then you find a note on the fridge saying they just can't take it anymore .

Comment

if you let the clutch out normally, from a stop, but in 2nd gear, and it doesn't stall the engine, it may be time to replace clutch driven discs

Comment

If the clutch is weak and slipping, it is most likely to do it at the speed the engine produces most power, around 6500 to 7500 RPM. If you ride your bike hard in 3rd/4th gear through this rev range and your clutch is weak, you will hear/feel it slipping. Using too heavy a grade of oil will cause clutch problems, as will synthetic oil designed for cars. ( It contains anti friction additives which play havoc with wet clutches). Hope this helps.

Comment

I noticed mine going when I would speed shift from first to second at redline full throttle. It would spin, then catch up and be fine. After a while it would do it more often. If you're mechanical at all, changing the clutch is really easy. Just be sure to get a new gasket for the cover.

Comment

Working...
          X