Should a GS850G idle fast when hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should a GS850G idle fast when hot?

My GS850G runs very well. However the idle may not be set quite right. After starting up and getting warmed up it idles at 1100rpm. Once I've been riding at highway speeds (4000--5000rpm) it then idles at about 2000rpm and will not slow to 1100rpm. Is this normal? If not what does this indicate that I should do to correct the problem?

Thanks,
    Terry

SLOW DOWN--ENJOY THE RIDE--LIVE TO BE A BURDEN ON YOUR CHILDREN!!!

Sounds like an air leak to me.
    Have you ever replaced the the induction boot Orings?
    If not, I'd start there.
    Also check the air box chrome side covers, if they aren't totally
    sealed you can get an air leak. If this is the case, purchase a high quality
    100% clear silcone and take off the covers and go all the way around
    the air box where the cover fits on.
    Give it several minutes then place the covers back on.
    Don't put them on too soon or the silicone will come off on to the inside of the covers and don't wait too too long or the silicone will harden and won't flow enough to get a good seal.

Peace
    Mo

Comment

My 850 will idle as low as 750 RPM when the carbs are in sync. The manual states 1000 to 1100 RPM and anywhere between those figures is fine.

Comment

It should idle 1200 rpm all day long. Check your throtle cables, Check the carb linkage, Check the choke linkage/cable, If everything is ok Check the intake boots and replace the O rings

Comment

Well, I talked to my local mechanic who also said that it sounded to him like I had an air leak between the carbs and the manifold. I ran it for a while and got it to idle high (2200 rpm) and then sprayed carb cleaner around the carb/manifold boots to see if there was a leak but it didn't have any effect on the idle speed. So, I guess I'm still looking for a lead. The high idle doesn't bother me and it returns to normal (1000 rpm) once I let it cool down a bit. But, if you guys have any other ideas I'll check them out too!
          Thanks,
          Terry

Comment

Sync the carbs! this is a common symptom of needing to be synced. If you checked for air leaks and didnt find any, before looking further sync your carbs! with my bike the high idle after warm up or the slow idle down( how fast the rpms fall when you let off) are tell tale signs of time to sync the carbs. its happened about four times and four times the sync was the fix. I beleve it also happened to Ron Martin (argonsas) or areveejay I somtimes get their names confused.

Comment

my 1000g had the same symptoms and a adjustment to the bleed air screws cured it, (in 1/4 turn) it has a nice stable idle now, was a bit lean at idle.

Comment

Working...
              X