Questioning todays findings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questioning todays findings

I set the carb air screws to get the best idle setting then did a compression check which showed better numbers than I had suspected.

I put in new plugs and did a 5 mile ride at 1/4 throttle to get the idle circuit readings. Pulled all four plugs and they showed no signs of any coloring. Just looked like they did when I put them in new.
    Is this OK or should I have ridden it for more than 5 miles?

I have read the method for plug chops as outlined on BassCliff's site. Am I correct to understand that because my plugs showed no coloration that everything is OK in the idle circuit? Thanks
    Last edited by alke46; 11-19-2008, 10:25 PM.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

i hate to ask it but if #3 was not responding to air ajutment at idle.. when you cleaned the carbs did you pay attention to the #3 idle circuit? sounds like it could be plugged.

Comment

When did you last adjust your valves?
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
        i hate to ask it but if #3 was not responding to air ajutment at idle.. when you cleaned the carbs did you pay attention to the #3 idle circuit? sounds like it could be plugged.
        It responded to air and carb cleaner being sprayed through it. I also made sure all small holes were clear and open that I could see.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
          When did you last adjust your valves?
          Valves were adjusted at the time the carb cleaning was going on.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

did you check (and preferably) replace the orings between the boots and head when you had the carbs off? what kind of condition are the boots in? still pliable and rubber? i had a cylinder that didn't wanna respond to syncing and it turned out to be a crack in the orin so it was running exceptionally lean.

Comment

yes, new o-rings between the boots and head. boots seemed to be OK considering the age of the machine.
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                I set the carb air screws to get the best idle setting then did a compression check which showed better numbers than I had suspected.
                Setting your air screws won't effect your compression readings. You should have the throttle wide open when doing a compression check (or have the carbs off).

Your plugs should be tan, not white. You are running too lean for some reason. Make sure you have no intake leaks and your airbox is sealed.
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Look at the threads on the spark plug. If the heat range is under 1.5 threads your good. Might take a week or so to show color on the plug.
                  The heat range shows how hot the cumbustion is.
                  Is everything stock or did you do some mods.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    Look at the threads on the spark plug. If the heat range is under 1.5 threads your good. Might take a week or so to show color on the plug.
                    I will check the threads tonight.
                    The PO had an aftermarket exhaust (4 into 2) installed, supposedly by a m/c shop and he claimed they told him the new exhaust would NOT require any rejetting.
                    I am not sure how much of the PO's statements about the bike are believeable.
                    Thanks for your input. I will check those threads asap.
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

A rich mixture will very often show up immediately on new plugs - even after a couple of minutes on tickover. A lean mixture or a correct mixture sometimes takes a wee bit longer to declare - a 'few' miles on new plugs.

The PO + the m/c shop might be right about the exhaust - there are plenty of types ou there that don't require any fiddling with the carbs.

Don't forget that to tune a carb in you need to look at the plugs on tickover, 1/4 throttle, 1/2-3/4 throttle and WOT - (pilot circuit, slide cutaway, needle and main).
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                        A rich mixture will very often show up immediately on new plugs - even after a couple of minutes on tickover. A lean mixture or a correct mixture sometimes takes a wee bit longer to declare - a 'few' miles on new plugs.

The PO + the m/c shop might be right about the exhaust - there are plenty of types ou there that don't require any fiddling with the carbs.

Don't forget that to tune a carb in you need to look at the plugs on tickover, 1/4 throttle, 1/2-3/4 throttle and WOT - (pilot circuit, slide cutaway, needle and main).
                        Thanks hampshirehog. Very informative. This is the reason I joined the GSResources forum.

I will do the 1/2-3/4 throttle and WOT just as soon as this damned North wind quits blowing and the temperature gets above 40*F.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

A replacement 4-2 exhaust should be OK from a tuning standpoint, unless it is extensively modified, like no baffles. When you change things on the airbox side by going to pods, well then your going to be re-jetting for sure. Especially with CV carbs.

Is the bike hesitating or showing signs of fuel starvation, like sputtering at high RPM or lacking power?
                          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                            A replacement 4-2 exhaust should be OK from a tuning standpoint, unless it is extensively modified, like no baffles. When you change things on the airbox side by going to pods, well then your going to be re-jetting for sure. Especially with CV carbs.

Is the bike hesitating or showing signs of fuel starvation, like sputtering at high RPM or lacking power?
                            No the bike is running pretty much like it should be running. The performance seems good, I am just trying to fine tune things since the carb dipping.
                            It acts like it is going to be pretty close without having to do anything inside the carbs
                            Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              chef1366, I am not sure exactly what you are talking about here. I have the plugs out now but am not seeing anything on the threads.
                              sorry, but I am just not familiar with what I am supposed to be seeing.
                              Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Working...
                              X