what's it called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what's it called?

Ok so in the process of taking off the clutch cover I lapsed into retardation. Managed to break the little pin that is behind the points advance. It sits in the crank and locks the advance wieghts in position. Looked at a few parts fische and could not come up with anything. Please help me! If I knew what to ask for it might make it easier to obtain a new one. Also has anyone had luck reuseing the oil window after popping it out?

I guess it would help if y'all knew what I was monkeying with. 1978 gs400,points clutch side of the crank. It is a wee lil pin. Could I substitute a roll pin instead?

Comment

Is it #25 in this picture?

They have it listed as:

25. 08341-31059 5mm Woodruff Key

Maybe?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

It's called a dowel pin. A correct size length and width roll pin may be substituted, all it has to withstand is force of the advance weights. Keep that in mind when putting a wrench on that when setting the timing later.
        I've had success re-installing oil windows before, use a socket slightly smaller than the window to gently push it back in. Use some sealer as a lubricant. Hondabond or black silicone in small amounts works well.

Comment

On second thought, you're probably talking about the clips on #10, the governor advance assembly?

Part# 33120-44021

Am I close? Alpha-sports shows as that part no longer being available.

I'll shut up now.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

it's the "dowel pin" right behind #10. I will probably be going roll pin as I have an assortment of them. Thank you guys for the help and peace of mind. Moral of this thread would have to be read your manual (especially when you have two).

Comment

It's not on either of those fiches, but it's called a dowel pin. I don't remember which fiche it's on.

I have a couple of bad GS500 cranks hanging around on the floor of my garage. I can yank the pin out of one of those and send it to you if you want... PM if you want one of these.

However, a roll pin should work perfectly well -- there's not a lot of force on this -- it's just a locating pin.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

pm sent. Thanks for your help as I'm sure I could not get a new one. Found a link on here to get all the other do-dads I need just not that.

Comment

PM received! I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow morning.

It's part #5 on the GS500 crankshaft fiche. That look about right?
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

looks like the one. Thanks for the help.

Comment

how to rescue it from my crank

alright now how do I get the little piece that's broke off in the crank out ? Tried magnets and the drill. Magnets wouldn't pull it and it's to hard to drill. I'll weld the SOB in place if I have to. I ain't skerred a nuttn.

Comment

told you I wasn't scared. All welded in nicely. Now to send a pm and save my hero a stamp.

Comment

Working...
                        X