No announcement yet.

1982 GS1100EZ Welded Crank Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it is a winter project, send it to have it welded. I would NOT send anything to Falicon but John Pearson is good as well as Stan Gardner who does all of my crank work. I would send it to whichever is closer to you. While it's apart, have the clutch basket rebuilt & welded & put GS750 oil pump gears in it. Instead of going 1166, find an 1150 cylinder block & make a 1229. An 1100 cylinder 3 mil over is an 1166 where an 1150 cylinder the same 3 mil overbore is a 1229! It's a pretty good difference in power & the same amount of work either way. To me the cost difference in the 1150 block is WELL worth it! Ray.

Comment

Does any one know about the 140000, being the magic number, meaning any motor stamped with a higher number is welded--JPAUL (previous thread) mentioned that possibility-

Comment

Originally posted by cromwell1234 View Post
        Does any one know about the 140000, being the magic number, meaning any motor stamped with a higher number is welded--JPAUL (previous thread) mentioned that possibility-

i have never seen a factory welded crank in a an 80-82 silver 1100E engine..
        if one has been replaced under warrenty...thats doesnt count as(factory stock).
        where is ray?
        RAYYYYYYYYY..
        what do you think?

Comment

Ray where the hell are you--just kidding--any light on this magic number crap would help many of us out--

Comment

I've seen 4 or 5 big left end 82 cranks when I worked at the dealership in the mid 80s & I KNOW at least 3 of those motors had NEVER been apart. As for the serial #s after 140000, I'm not sure. I know for SURE though that some of the LATE 82s had 83 cranks & rotors in them! Ray.

Comment

JPAUL tell us how you got the number, please???

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                I've seen 4 or 5 big left end 82 cranks when I worked at the dealership in the mid 80s & I KNOW at least 3 of those motors had NEVER been apart. As for the serial #s after 140000, I'm not sure. I know for SURE though that some of the LATE 82s had 83 cranks & rotors in them! Ray.

hmmmmmm,
                ray would you sware to this under oath?
                just kidding..

Comment

Actually, Yes I would! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    If it is a winter project, send it to have it welded. I would NOT send anything to Falicon but John Pearson is good as well as Stan Gardner who does all of my crank work. I would send it to whichever is closer to you. While it's apart, have the clutch basket rebuilt & welded & put GS750 oil pump gears in it. Instead of going 1166, find an 1150 cylinder block & make a 1229. An 1100 cylinder 3 mil over is an 1166 where an 1150 cylinder the same 3 mil overbore is a 1229! It's a pretty good difference in power & the same amount of work either way. To me the cost difference in the 1150 block is WELL worth it! Ray.
                    Whats wrong with falicon?

Comment

I checked my motor and it's stamped "153643", so if JPaul is right , this number is above 140000, therfore it should be a welded crankshaft, can anyone firm this up--that would be great!!

Comment

I would open her up and look to see if it's welded just to be sure.

Comment

Buy a stator cover gasket & get a rotor puller for a BIG left end crank. If the puller is TOO big, you have an unwelded 82 crank. Ray.

Comment

Looking at the Suzuki workshop manual they changed the Rotor on the SZ 1100 onwards. The newer rotor is on 118mm across against 130mm and the puller is smaller on the smaller rotor.

09930-34930 puller part number.

I know as I've got one for my 1983 ESD. The one that the dealers let me borrow was too big and when the crank came out it was welded which was a bit of a suprise to me.

Mine, however, is a black engine starting GS110X-16-----

Suzuki mad
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2008, 04:33 PM. Reason: spull chacker workng badly toite

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                              Thats a tough call on specific dates. Dig through the search "twisted crank".

Its a start....

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...=twisted+crank
                              I had a long talk not too awfully long ago with Jeff Saunders (from Z1) RE: date of manufacture discrepencies. From what I gathered from the convo, in the US, DOM vs model year of sale dates werent really regulated untill later in the 80s (84ish i seem to recall him thinking) Some models debuted as an 82 model, say, in MID 81, July-Sept area, whereas nowdays, those would have been 81 models still, and new model year bikes would not have been sold untill Novemberish of 81. Some dealerships would have sold them as 81s, and they would have been titled as 81s, but some would have sold them as 82s. This is why there is alot of confusion on certain models vs parts and parts fiches. Its also likely the reason that 82ish parts would show up on a model supposedly sold as an 81 in the dealership.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                                I had a long talk not too awfully long ago with Jeff Saunders (from Z1) RE: date of manufacture discrepencies. From what I gathered from the convo, in the US, DOM vs model year of sale dates werent really regulated untill later in the 80s (84ish i seem to recall him thinking) Some models debuted as an 82 model, say, in MID 81, July-Sept area, whereas nowdays, those would have been 81 models still, and new model year bikes would not have been sold untill Novemberish of 81. Some dealerships would have sold them as 81s, and they would have been titled as 81s, but some would have sold them as 82s. This is why there is alot of confusion on certain models vs parts and parts fiches. Its also likely the reason that 82ish parts would show up on a model supposedly sold as an 81 in the dealership.
                                Model year designations are not regulated even today as far as I know. They aren't in the auto industry anyway. For example, I've seen certain manufacturers release a 2004 model vehicle even though the production date was 3/03.

The typical start up time for new model manufacturing is July or August of the year prior to the designation; so a 8/82 mfg vehicle would be a 1983 model year. Of course, this depends on the manufacture - there are no rules on when they must start or stop.
                                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X