No announcement yet.

1982 GS1100EZ Welded Crank Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opened checked and rechecked the crank "IS WELDED", don't care when, who or how but thanks to who ever did it--one less thing to worry about when i'm trying to keep up with the newer bikes-----

Comment

i will go out on a limb here..imagine that eh?
      80-82 gs1100e 16v. small taper cranks...
      eveybody with me?
      small taper cranks takes the large rotor puller.
      83 gs1100e/es and all 1150/big taper cranks ...
      still with me?
      large taper cranks takes the small rotor puller.
      anybody who may have said otherwise just forgot im sure.

Comment

OK lets work our way through these things one at a time, first Suzuki manufactures the following model year from July of the previous year; i.e. 7/81 on is 82 model or "Z" model designation if you like.
        Welded cranks is a mis-nomer, ONLY the crank pins either side of the primary drive gear were welded (thus it can only be seen with the clutch hub removed), this was the point at which it was found the cranks "twisted"or de-indexed, this happened at or about engine number GS110X-140000 (the actual number is on the microfiche, the real fiche not the cut down versions shown on various websites) this was also the point that the taper was changed from 1 in 7 to 1 in 5 where the stator rotor is fitted, so yes the "big" crank end is a give away, BTW the journal size for the starter clutch was also changed from 31mm to 35 and an oilway was deleted as this was the point that cranks were snapping at ;also at the same time the clutch hub spacers and clutch plate arrangement was changed.

Dink
        Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2008, 07:31 AM. Reason: additions

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
          Hate to throw cold water on this therory and cause cromwell more worry but the number on my twisted crank engine is 151154.
          Mine is 146884. Twisted.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
          X