82 GS850 GL 70K miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS850 GL 70K miles

Hello all I need a bit of help, again. As some of you know I have been trying to get my bike running and have gone thru the carb dip, valve adust, new O rings, oil change, plugs, wires, good commpression and she starts right up and runs fine on the stands. Take her down the road and she bogs down, no power. Is it electrical? timing? air leak? I'm kind of at a loss as to where to look next to find out why she wont run with a load on and do not want to take to the devil I mean mechanic. Any pointers are truly appreciated.

My guess would be that it is electrical. Sounds like maybe a coil issue. Hope I am wrong on this but--------
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Porosky View Post
      Hello all I need a bit of help, again. As some of you know I have been trying to get my bike running and have gone thru the carb dip, valve adust, new O rings, oil change, plugs, wires, good commpression and she starts right up and runs fine on the stands. Take her down the road and she bogs down, no power. Is it electrical? timing? air leak? I'm kind of at a loss as to where to look next to find out why she wont run with a load on and do not want to take to the devil I mean mechanic. Any pointers are truly appreciated.
      More info. Does it take any power? If so at what range does it bog? How do your plugs look? Does it sputter and miss, or just power down? It may be electrical, but it sounds more like a fuel mix issue.

Comment

Thats not very nice im a mechanic

Comment

The airbox and air filter need to seal completely. There is supposed to be a foam seal on the air filter cage. Did you check the diaphrams? I would check these things first.

Comment

Originally posted by asetech View Post
            Thats not very nice im a mechanic

*never mind, i got it...*
            Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2008, 11:16 AM. Reason: I fvckin figured it out, doh!

Comment

AIR LEAK. with my 1000G airbox loose, it will only ride to 4K and then bog down, once all tight, revs clean thru....

Comment

Did you do anything with that old petcock?
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

any mechanic that lurks around here is a good mechanic for sure

yeah, give us more info on what exactly happens

though, of the top of my head i would go with: is your airbox airtight?
                  GS850GT

Comment

thanks guys, my apologies to the good mechanics out there. I kind of suspect the airbox boots and will replace those next, as far as sealing the air box I did that, foam around the gasket and side covers even duct taped the bottom intake holes and rear intake which I have cut through to allow air in cleaned and oiled the filter. Plugs look good, revs strong on the stands but nothing when I try to go down the road. I'll get the new boots ordered and start going through the electrical next and see if that sorts her out, getting into some real nice riding weather here in FLA and I am missing out Oh installed a new OEM petcock and 120 mains as it had 115's and I have a 4-1 exhaust someone suggested the bump up.
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2008, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Hi Mr. Harry Porosky,

Some things you haven't mentioned:

Float Height
                      Bench sync
                      Vacuum sync
                      New intake boots and intake boot O-rings
                      Plug caps

Yes, seal the airbox, leaving only the stock openings. Make sure you don't over-oil the air filter.

You've probably done most of these already, so disregard the redundant...and the silly.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                      X