Fix-a-flat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fix-a-flat?

I have a slow leak in my NEW rear tire . It loses about 10-15 psi over a week, give or take. I would take it in to the fools who mounted the tire, but i am at them, and need an immediate solution.

Is fix a flat an acceptable solution for a slow leak? Does it void the warranty on the tire, I have heard that it does.

Thanks for your input kids.

If you're running tubeless, check your valve stem. It has a washer on the inside that seals against the rim. If not tightened correctly it can leak. Have you tried to find the leak with some soapy water?

I wouldn't use fix a flat myself because I change my own tires. Pretty messy.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman View Post
      If you're running tubeless, check your valve stem. It has a washer on the inside that seals against the rim. If not tightened correctly it can leak. Have you tried to find the leak with some soapy water?

I wouldn't use fix a flat myself because I change my own tires. Pretty messy.
      It is tubeless. I haven't tried to find the leak yet, as I'v only been aware of it for a day or 2 (ok, i guess thats plenty of time...).

If its the valve stem, will the tire have to be dismounted to fix it? Or can it maybe just be retorqued?

Not worried about the mess issue, just the safety factor.

Comment

Spray soapy water around the valve stem, If it's leaking there will be bubbles. I had to tighten my valve stem nut one time, Ted

Comment

I look at Fix-a-Flat as emergency use only to get you home when you run over a nail. After you get home, then assess if the tire itself can be repaired, if a tube needs to be installed, or the tire needs to be replaced.

Like others have said, use soapy water to find the leak. Odds are it's the tire stem not seating correctly. It could also be a damaged/rough rim, which may or may not be repairableed with some sanding and polishing.
          sigpic

SUZUKI:
          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            I look at Fix-a-Flat as emergency use only to get you home when you run over a nail. After you get home, then assess if the tire itself can be repaired, if a tube needs to be installed, or the tire needs to be replaced.

Like others have said, use soapy water to find the leak. Odds are it's the tire stem not seating correctly. It could also be a damaged/rough rim, which may or may not be repairableed with some sanding and polishing.
            Thanks, I am sending a PM.

Comment

they also remove the valve stem CORE when they mount tires I have seen many instances where they to not get the core tight enough and it leeks so check that too.

Comment

I have had nails, screws and such stuck in my tires that obviously develop slow leaks.
                I always just plug them. I have heard some people say that they would never ride on a plugged tire.
                Whats the general consensus on tire plugs?

Comment

OK, it is leaking around the valvestem nut. I tightened it down, and it seems to have stopped or slowed the leak, or there is no more air in my tire to leak out and make pretty bubbles... Frustrating and annoying! I am a little concerned with the amount of compression on the rubber gasket, and i have 90 freeway miles to do today before I go home. Anyone feel that it would be unsafe? I know its hard to say, but your gut feelings might make me feel better, as i have little choice but to ride it!

Comment

I wouldn't ride it without pumping it back up to pressure -- do you have access to compressed air and a tire gauge, or can you at least limp to a gas station with an air compressor?

-=-=-

As far as plugging a puncture, I've had excellent results with the common, inexpensive "sticky string" type tire plugs in tubeless motorcycle tires.

The "Stop-n-Go" tire plug kits are completely useless, expensive garbage. I've repaired four or five motorcycle flats with one of these, and the plug simply would not stay in a motorcycle tire. Worked OK in a couple of car tires, though.

I've also demounted a motorcycle tire and patched it from the inside with excellent results.

I've used Fix-a-Flat in a pinch, but it's far from ideal. Don't use it in a new tire -- find and fix the source of the leak. It's very, very messy stuff, and the gas used can be pretty dangerous.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

C.V. if your concerned about the compression on the rubber gasket, don't be. There is a rubber gasket on the inside of the rim, the hole where the valve stem goes through the wheel, then another rubber gasket. So the gaskets are supported by the portion of your aluminum rim that surrounds the valve stem. In other words, they are compressing against that. It's different than most car valve stems you might be familiar with. I don't know how much torque you'd need to snap the valve stem, but it would be substantial.

However, if your tire is low on air, slowly get to an air compressor and pump it up before driving that many miles.

Comment

Problem seems to be solved

Thanks everyone for the reponses. I found the leak at the valve stem (from under the nut) gave it about a half a turn, and the bubbling stopped. Filled it up here at work, thanks to some concerned co workers, and it seems to be holding pretty steady at about 32 psi.

Fishman, thanks for the reassurance about the gasket, that was the only thing that was still eatin' at me a bit, I feel much better!

Again, thanks guys, the GSR rocks, as always.

see ya round the forum!

Comment

Cool! Glad to help. Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by C.V. View Post
                            OK, it is leaking around the valvestem nut. I tightened it down, and it seems to have stopped or slowed the leak, or there is no more air in my tire to leak out and make pretty bubbles... Frustrating and annoying! I am a little concerned with the amount of compression on the rubber gasket, and i have 90 freeway miles to do today before I go home. Anyone feel that it would be unsafe? I know its hard to say, but your gut feelings might make me feel better, as i have little choice but to ride it!
                            I recently had a very rapid leak in the rim mounted valve stem (which I didn't discover location of until home) on a high speed 300 mile trip. I didn't realize it until the steering got heavy within 40 miles from home. I checked the pressure and it was only 12psi. Pumped it up at a gas station and rode home to find it 12psi once again. The front tire has strong enough sidewalls to not blow out. I was going up to 75mph in a straight line and didn't really notice the low air issue. When stopped the steering really drags alot.

The next day I just had them replace the tire and valve and with only 3k on it because I was concerned about internal cord damage. What's a $100 in relation to one's safety.

**I keep a can of tube fix with me in case of a totally flat tire on the road only. It is big enough for a car tire so only 1/4 can is plenty for a bike tire if adequate pressure is acheived. I would be throwing out the tire anyhow so don't care about mess. Sometimes the dealer will charge one extra if messy cleanup is required.

I would be much more concerned about the rear tire inflation level as it could easily blow out at high speed or at the least get really squirrelly.

You did the sensible thing finding your slow leak. They/you can replace the valve stem without totally removing the tire if you desire but it will cost you $25 if you don't take the wheel off the bike for them.

Comment

Working...
                            X