Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS550L Owner trying to get his baby running

Hello all,

I am rather new to this forum and to motorcycles in general. I had an old 1981 Honda 220 that I played with in High school, but that is the extent of my knowledge.

Well, I just picked up a nice 1980 GS550L for $200 bucks and am having a problems getting it going. It turns over but that is it. I have lights and I have spark and it looks as if I am getting gas flow from the tank to the carb. I squirted some gas into the plugs and got a split second of life, but that was it.

Also, the petcock seems to be acting odd. It is allowing gas flow to the carb, but when I move the screw to Prime, I don't get any gas flow.

Would anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for the help,

Fingerz

If the bike has been sitting you'll need to clean the carbs thoroughly (see carb cleanup series on this site). Also, disassemble the petcock to see why it's not functioning properly. Make sure your air filter is OK. Verify that there are no air leaks at the carb boots connecting the carbs to the engine.
    I had to do all of the above in order for my bike to run. After that, I spent a long time fine tuning things to get the bike running near perfect.

Comment

link to the carb clean-up article, has the bike been sitting for a while? If so the carbs are probably gummed up by the old gas. Rebuild or replace the petcock.

Comment

WOOT! It is running. Thinking about what could be the problem, the air filter popped into our heads. We took it off and it was a mess. We popped in a piece of foam for the time being and my beast roared to life! It was the best feeling in the world to get that thing going. To be safe the carbs are comming of to be cleaned.

Thanks for the help!

Fingerz

Comment

Re: New GS550L Owner trying to get his baby running

Originally posted by fingerz
          Hello all,

Also, the petcock seems to be acting odd. It is allowing gas flow to the carb, but when I move the screw to Prime, I don't get any gas flow.
          That's definitely not correct. On 'Prime' the petcock should be all open.

Comment

Working...
          X