Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS850G forks

Hey fellas

This GS850 I'm bringing back from the dead has pretty weak forks. The type of riding I'm planning to do on this bike will not demand stellar suspension performance, however I'm concerned with the safety of weak forks, particularly in the event that I need to avoid a homicidal cage or what have you. It definately happens, as we all know.

There's a shop I trust (despite having to follow their work up on occasion) that has a price on a rebuild of a set of these forks for $120.00 PLUS parts.

How about the cost of those parts? The guy at the shop was busy when I was there, and I was handling another problem anyway so I didn't nail him down on it. Have any of you guys done this yourself? Where did you get parts, were they OEM (price too high!) or aftermarket?

Those who have done it, how does rebuilding a set of forks compare to handmaking a swiss watch?

I'm a mechanical guy by trade and very good with my hands, but I'm more of an electrical / mechanical guy, and not much for lots of tiny little circlips and pins and oriented rods, the stuff I would call "watchmaking".

I like hammers and impact wrenches more than circlip pliers, I'll put it that way.

What type of work is a fork rebuild?

Price sounds ok- replace seals & oil probably charge extra if it needs bushings... BUT you need to spend an extra $80 and get some progressive fork springs

Comment

progressive springs and a fork brace work wonders

Comment

Sq, is that $80 total, or per fork?

Fast, I appreciate the suggestion, but aftermarket add-ons are against this projects' religion. Money could not be more of a factor on this Frankenstein's monster. Interesting part though, might look into it for a bike I'm willing to spend real money on.

That brings the price thing back up.
        As I understand it, we're at $120 for the labor and a variable of $X additional for bushings (and it's a shop, so what are the odds it's going to have to happen..)
        Factor in a theoretical $80 for progressive, and we've equaled the value of the bike.

I'm not an insurance adjuster, but I am on a budget, big time with this Frankenstein thing, so $200 for parts is a big deal. That's the regi and INS to get this Rat on the road.

I'm becoming a watchmaker, I.. I can feel it.

Comment

Progressive fork springs are only about $80 for the PAIR, maybe less depending on where you source them. The fork brace will run you about $100 from www.fastfromthepast.com and are PERIOD CORRECT for your machine. Rear shocks should also be on your eventual list, as unless they're already aftermarket/upgraded, they're sacked out. 25+years of THE heaviest GS to ever grace the road (the GK not included) sitting on them surely have them done by now. Progressive also makes GOOD rear shocks for that bike, but they're a bit more pricey than the front springs by a shot. HOWEVER, MDI shocks are really good for the rider on a budget, and arent bad to begin with. If you're a bigger guy, they'll be perfect. Otherwise, they are sprung a little stiff.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvey View Post

Those who have done it, how does rebuilding a set of forks compare to handmaking a swiss watch?
            It's way easier, any moron can do it.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi,

Have a look at these and see if you think you can do it yourself:

And from my site, click here for a PDF guide from Mr. Matchless.

I got my Progressive springs from mawonline.com. They list them for $55.95. Look on this page for part# 11107.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                It's way easier, any moron can do it.
                Yeah! Even ME!!!

Comment

Cool

I won't fear the job then.

The Progs and other "frivolous", not to be a dick with that term, it's just that; those things won't happen, budget rules all on this '79 deal.

Had a blown gasket on the '82, out of nowhere, since I got accepted here, same on my truck, '01 GMC (just in time for them to go out of bussines, HAR!) Facing money problems and a desire to put this SOB on the road, that's the deal. Buy the ticket, take the old UJM ride.

Thanks to Basscliff (do you play bass, by the way?), We could talk about that too .., anyway, and everyone else for the help. I'll check out everything and.. well.. surely opt for the cheapest way out.

Anyway, Bass, I'll check that stuff out. If I can rebuild these forks for less than "totalled", I'm there all the way.

Short of that, I'm back to not fearing the reaper.
                  Even though I see that SOB about every 30 hours or so

Comment

Hey Mr. Marvey,

Yes, I do play bass:

Cliff Saunders (runningkind)'s profile on Myspace, the place where people come to connect, discover, and share.

Instead of paying your guy to work on your forks, I can't help but think that a new set of Progressives, a couple of fork seals ($12.88 @ Z1), some fork oil, and doing the work yourself, will be quite a bit less than $120. Just a thought. I've put off some things I want for my bike because of budgetary restraints. I understand completely.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2008, 02:45 AM.

Comment

What is actually wrong with the forks? Are they leaking oil? If so you will need seals.

Not sure you realize it but the 850 forks have air ports on the top - factory spec is 8.5 - 17 psi. With 17 psi in the forks they should be quite firm. Progressive fork springs are nice for people that don't like to mess around with the air. Also, new fork oil might be in order -10W-20 motor oil if you can find it, 15W fork oil otherwise. No need to spend money if you don't have it.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Get some new fork seals and the Progressive fork springs. Have a go at it. Best upgrade for the buck in my opinion. Won't break the bank either.
                        I'd also get some rear Progressive shocks to even things out.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

To my mind, upgraded fork springs aren't a luxury or frivolous in any way -- they are an absolutely mandatory safety upgrade for any 20+ year old bike. The stock springs were ultra-crappy to begin with, and they're now far worse with 30 years of sagging.

Your '79 GS850 is now 30 years old (very likely manufactured in late '78), and I would no more ride it with the stock fork springs than with bald 30-year-old original tires. Even if you're not a corner carver, braking is severely compromised when the front end sags through 3/4 of its travel when you sit on the bike.

Errrrr... it DOES have new-ish tires, right?

Do it yerdamself and you'll even save money over letting a shop bungle the job.

Also, it's quite unlikely you need new bushings (Suzuki parts diagrams call them "slide metals") or new "piston rings" on the damper rods. These parts last a very, very long time -- they showed only very minor wear on my bike at 80,000 miles.

If they're leaking, install new seals. It's pretty easy. Then replace the fork springs with Progressives and, of course, fresh fork oil. You're good to go for under $100.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Cliff, Nice 6 string. Love it.
                            Sounds like keeping this job out of the shop is the way to go. Will check out Z1.

Chef, the rear is.. well, taken care of. A pic later on will explain everything. WARNING: GS850 purists may be put off.

Bw, thanks for the info. What you've said is what's making me think this needs to happen. Suspension performance on this thing is not an issue, but braking is. As with all M/Cs, when you need to stop, you need to stop. 2 seconds ago.

These Suzis are exemplary of this fact. They have more motor than brakes, in a big way. A fool can only treat an old GS or GK like a modern day sportbike once.

As for tires, well, in geologic terms, yeah, they're fresh off the 'line.

Thanks for the good info fellas. Very useful and much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                            X