VM carb set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM carb set up

I've just ordered o-rings from our friend at cycleorings, gaskets, boots and the rest of the stuff to do a complete tear down and rebuild of the VM carbs on my '79 GS850GN. The only part that concerns me a little about doing all this is the set up afterward. I've read all the resources I can find both here and other places and have a question about how difficult / tedious it is to sync the carbs.

Do you experienced people here think it necessary / really advisable to use a manometer or have you been able to set up rebuilt carbs without? Adding another $80 ish to the cost of the parts almost doubles the price of the rebuild. Can a manometer be found at a tool rental place?

Thanks in advance again.
    It's smoke that make electronic components work.
    Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
    '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
    '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
    '82 GS1000SZ
    '82 GS1100GL
    '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Carb synching is easy once you've done it the first time. It's a must if you want to get these bikes to run spot on plus it's a regular service check (3000 miles / 6-monthly in my book).

The gauges are well worth the investment and once you know how to use them you can charge your mates a few $ / £ and soon get your money back.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I've never seen anywhere that you can rent a manometer.

You can get the synch close (sometimes) with the bench synch, but you really need to synch them with a manometer. I think there are other members in your area? Maybe you could borrow one or pay them to do it.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Alright, so assuming no one comes forward locally to either let me borrow a manometer or help me do the job, any recommendations on what type to get and where from?
        '82 GS1000SZ
        '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by Wallowgreen View Post
          Alright, so assuming no one comes forward locally to either let me borrow a manometer or help me do the job, any recommendations on what type to get and where from?
          Get a Morgan Carbtune. Period. Worth every penny spent.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
            Get a Morgan Carbtune. Period. Worth every penny spent.
            I bought mine direct from England. But I think you can now get them through distributors in the U.S. A search online should let you know.
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by Wallowgreen View Post
              I've read all the resources I can find both here and other places and have a question about how difficult / tedious it is to sync the carbs.
              I think most people would agree that actually synchronizing the carbs is a heck of a lot easier than trying to explain the process. Reading up on the procedure will be more tedious than actually doing it.

Do you experienced people here think it necessary / really advisable to use a manometer or have you been able to set up rebuilt carbs without?
              Thanks in advance again.
              There's really no way to avoid it. The sync will have a huge impact on how the bike runs.
              and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
              __________________________________________________ ______________________
              2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Thanks renobruce.

Been looking on their web site to order one and read about their other product called colortune. Anyone got any experience using that? Is it worth having to help with better/easier mixture set up?

If so I'll get the two as a package deal they offer.
                '82 GS1000SZ
                '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Carbtune has received mixed reviews, I'd pass.
                  Regarding sync'ing, if you are industrious there are tutorials on how to make a sync tool using water or oil - info available on the web if you search. Personally, I'd just spend the money and get the proper tool but wanted to let you know that there are other ways.

EDIT, Carbtune has received excellent feedback, it's been Colortune that had been mixed. Sorry for the confusion.
                  Last edited by Nessism; 11-22-2008, 08:35 PM.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hi,

Your procedure will differ a little, as these references are for the CV carbs (BS32SS), but it will give you and idea of what to look forward to:

Synchronize Carburetors
                    Carb Bench Sync Notes
                    Carb Specs-Float Height-Jetting

The MotionPro carb sync tool is another option. I have the Colortune. It's more precise than the "highest rpm" method.

Best of luck and happy wrenching.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2008, 06:40 PM.

Comment

I swear by a Colourtune - others won't. I've had mine nearly 30 years and again, once you've used it and made it work you'll wonder what you did without it and how easy it is to use.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

BassCliff, I've already read those reports as part of my wising up on the process. Actually I use the information available from your website quite a lot so thanks for taking the trouble.

Nessism did you mean carbtune or colortune?
                        '82 GS1000SZ
                        '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          Carbtune has received mixed reviews, I'd pass.
                          Really? I've never seen anything but good said about the Carbtune. I swear by it. I always had a slight vibration from my 1150 that I couldn't get rid of....until I bought the Carbtune. The 1150's carbs are super-sensitive, and my old mercury sticks would not dial them in well enough. I don't see how any other synch tool could be more accurate or user friendly.

As far as the Colortune, I have one of those, too, with plugs for both my bikes. For me it seems to work well on the CV type carbs, but not as well on the VM's. They are good for getting your pilot settings close, but I think reading the plugs is still the only way to get everything spot on.
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

This is most probably a stupid question but aren't VM carbs mechanical? If they are, how is it that if they're bench sync'd correctly, would they need to be vacuum sync'd with a manometer since all the slides would be moving at the same rate?

Thanks for your indulgence.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by don_gibb6512 View Post
                              This is most probably a stupid question but aren't VM carbs mechanical? If they are, how is it that if they're bench sync'd correctly, would they need to be vacuum sync'd with a manometer since all the slides would be moving at the same rate?

Thanks for your indulgence.

Don
                              Bench synchs are never spot on. Plus any variation from cylinder to cylinder (valve clearances, compression, etc.) will change the demand of each carb.
                              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Working...
                              X