Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!!!! My petcock Repair is worse than ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!!!! My petcock Repair is worse than ever!

I'm replacing my petcock tomorrow - does anyone have any tips or suggestions before I tear into it?

I purchased a petcock repair kit off of e-bay some time back and am planning on tearing into the petcock tomorrow.

I currently have a cheap, plastic fuel shut-off valve down line from the petcock. This is how I have been able to ride it with the failed petcock for about a month now.

Let me know if there's anything I need to watch out for.

My bike is a 1980 GS850GT.

Thanks!

How do you know you have a fialed petcock? Does it not shut off when the floats are full and the vacumn tries to shut off flow?

Comment

The stock petcock is vacuum operated. In either the RUN or RES position, it is opened by engine vacuum operating a diaphram which allows fuel to flow. Consequently, in either of those positions, fuel should not flow if the engine is not running. If you disconnect the fuel line from the petcock and turn it to RUN, or RES with the engine off, there must not be any fuel flow. If there is, the petcock needs replacing or rebuilding, When set to the PRI position, the vacuum function is bypassed and fuel will flow constantly.
      PRI is not normally selected unless you have run out of gas and need to fill the float bowls. After a few seconds to fill the bowls, you then set the selector to RUN.

Earl

Originally posted by BriMan
      How do you know you have a fialed petcock? Does it not shut off when the floats are full and the vacumn tries to shut off flow?
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Yes,

I know that it has failed because it continues to run out of the tube with the engine shut off.

So, I'm out to the garage this afternoon and am going to tear into it and get it repaired...Hoepfully!!!

--Dwight

Comment

Help!!!

I replaced my petcock inards and got it put back on. Now there is gas leaking out of a small hole on the back side of the vacuum housing. What did I do wrong. It didn't seem too complicated...just some rubber pieces.

There are two very thin pieces of rubber in the vacuum casing and it looks pretty straight forward except possibly some positioning of a couple of a really small hole in the rubber piece or maybe an extra hole in the plastic square piece. I need help. I have tried positioning these tiny holes in 2 or 3 places and it still leaks horribly.

Any ideas?

1980 GS850GT

--Dwight

Comment

Working...
          X