Trouble reinstalling carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble reinstalling carbs

I got the things out, cleaned up, 90% sure I figured out why the carbs were dumping fuel, reassembled the carb rack, got the evil bastards back in place, they seated nicely with the boots on the engine but when I try to seat the air box side of the carbs the boots don't want to stay snug to the carbs. When I tighten down the hose clamps they slip off the carb/boot towards the air box. I had this problem once before and had to take the bike to the mechanic, something I can't afford anymore. Suggestions? -nick

Old rubber

After many years, the rubber not only gets hard, it also shrinks; that's most likely the problem. If you replace them, you'll find that the new ones will be supple and larger and will fit your carbs very well. Personally, I think this would be the perfect time to replace them.

I struggled with mine on the 750 for several cleanings over a 3 or 4 year period and finally replaced them. I was amazed at the difference between the old ones and the new ones.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I hear what you're saying, but I think these were actually recently replaced, and even if they weren't, somebody managed to figure it out not too long ago. If worst comes to worst, I guess I'll have to replace them, but to my eyes the rubber seems to still be in good shape. It certainly isn't brittle or anything. -nick

Comment

Just a thought. The boots are different for left and right side and also have an upper and lower side. Once they are on, the openings towards the carbs should all be flush with each other if you hold a ruler across them. If they are not like this a carb will slip out of one as you push in the other, especially if the boots are hard due to age.

Comment

I had some trouble getting mine on and put the airbox in the oven under very low heat maybe 110 degrees for about 5-10 minutes it softened the rubber up enough to make getting the airbox on easier, but you should replace them if they are not soft and pliable, as I am going to do next.

Comment

Sorry

I'm sorry but I may have misunderstood what you're experiencing. What Matchless said is just right....there is a difference in the front boots and they need to be aligned correctly. There's an inner ridge on the engine side boots and the carbs have to slip inside of it.

If they're properly seated, the rear boots should fit over the carbs with enough coverage to be sealed easily with the hose clamps. I wish I could see it because I think if the rear boots are fairly new and the front ones are in good shape, your problem is probably a pretty simple one.

Another hint: When you install the carbs into the front boots, you need to rotate them either up or down. You can't push them straight in because you need an angle in order to pass by the ridge within the carb boots. Good luck!
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Try getting the rear boots on and clamped first then getting the fronts in and clamping them as the fronts seem to locate on the internal ridge better.(Seemed to work on my bike ,same year and model YMMV )

Comment

I think I'll try that tomorrow if the weather is nice. I think I remember trying it last time and it not working for some reason, but I've got to try something . -nick

Comment

I've always soaked rubber in brake fluid to soften it up. Seems like heat would work temporarily, but make them even more brittle when they cooled off.

Comment

The cold might be what is kicking my ass. I was just out there working on it again, I got them reasonably cinched on, tightened the hose clamps and as soon as I started to screw the air box assembly back in place the boots just slipped right off. They're not completely off, I think they're still air tight but they just slip.

Just dreaming about those pods again .

Comment

Working...
                    X