Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Forks

I have a 1984 GS850 and it is not fitted with the air damping forks
    Was different forks an option on this model.
    I have looked at the manuals and the only reference to the fitted forks is on the later model 1100.
    The previous owner has had the bike form new and believes that it never had the air forks.
    Any suggestions??

Greeetings and Salutations!

Hi Mr. Turtle,

Hmmm. I'm not sure, but I don't think we had an '84 model 850 in the States. I'm pretty sure that all '79-'83 had air forks. Maybe the forks were changed? Anyway, I'm just the welcome wagon.

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of suggestions and links to vendors and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website, where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. You'll find lots of GS850 lovin' there.

Thanks for joining us. We like pictures too. Not you, your bike.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2008, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Where on this big blue globe might you be?
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

lots (if not most) of gs bikes for markets other than the usa never had air forks
        GS850GT

Comment

OK Thanks Guys
          I am in Australia and all the manuals and spec sheets that i have only show the air forks.
          i think, as you say, psyguy ,that the models released in Oz may not have all had the air forks.
          The only reason for the question was that i intend to keep the bike as original as possible. i recently picked it up from a mate who had it in his shed for a few years. It currently has 17,000 ks on it but will be used as a everyday rider from now on.
          Just about finished tidying it up and only need new tyres and its a goer again.

Comment

my 1981 850L HAS air forks as does my 1981 gs1000L

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle View Post
              I am in Australia and all the manuals and spec sheets that i have only show the air forks.
              i can have a looksy in my factory manual if you need anything
              GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by bodine031 View Post
                my 1981 850L HAS air forks as does my 1981 gs1000L
                bodine, are you sure your bikes were sold NEW in Oz?
                GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                  bodine, are you sure your bikes were sold NEW in Oz?
                  Uhhh, Bodine's location is listed as "Melbourne", but that's Melbourne, Florida, not Australia.

The difference is just under 10,000 miles by air.

Last edited by Steve; 11-24-2008, 01:50 AM.
                  sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Turtle, Flatout did not list an 84 850 but does list an 83 G model without the air forks. Put some new progressives in, no air, problem solved.
                    82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                    81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                    83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                    06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                    AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Thanks

I had a look at flatout and that looks like the answer
                      we had a lot of different models sold in OZ . The frame number, shows from Suzuki's website, as manufactured 1984 but there is nothing to show what options were fitted so i guess it was original without the air forks.
                      i will fit a set of progressives and new seals and job done.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Uhhh, Bodine's location is listed as "Melbourne", but that's Melbourne, Florida, not Australia.
                        well, that explains it

no wonder he DOES have the air forks...
                        GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                        X