Rear Shock Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Shock Rebuild

can the rear shock from a 79 GS1000 be disasembled and rebuilt or is it a waste of time?
    thanks
    dwfranke1

Originally posted by dwfranke1 View Post
    can the rear shock from a 79 GS1000 be disasembled and rebuilt or is it a waste of time?
    thanks
    dwfranke1
    No, I don't believe they are serviceable at all.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
      No, I don't believe they are serviceable at all.
      They just suck, get something from this century.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Will any from a newer bike of any make bolt on? It would be great if some from a '04 or '05 cruiser or something would work! I know some of the Harley shocks would bolt on to certain KZ models.

Comment

Originally posted by ktp1598 View Post
          Will any from a newer bike of any make bolt on? It would be great if some from a '04 or '05 cruiser or something would work! I know some of the Harley shocks would bolt on to certain KZ models.
          But why would you want to do that? The Showas they put on Harleys are undersprung and wallowy.

Lots of threads on shocks here, do a search. Ikons to Ohlins, take your pick.

The GS 1000 shocks are not rebuildable.
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Try Progressive brand. Best bang for the buck.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Or Hagons....
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Or IKON...

Comment

We are talking about stock shocks here aren't we?

Just thought I'd check. I'd hate for a set of rebuildable shocks (like Marzocchis) to get thrown away.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                    Just thought I'd check. I'd hate for a set of rebuildable shocks (like Marzocchis) to get thrown away.
                    Unless you threw them in my direction
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I've scored two pairs (Marzocchis) with two different GS's that I've bought. They are fetching good dollars now. I won't part with them. They suit the 'retro' look of 70's & 80's bikes perfectly (and they're nice to ride on also).

Comment

Works Shocks offers a "heart transplant" for many stock shocks.
                        You'd need to call them @ (818) 701-1010.
                        Probably not cheap, but it is basically all modern stuff in your OEM shock.

Comment

yes im asking if the stock shocks are rebuildable

Comment

Originally posted by dwfranke1 View Post
                            yes im asking if the stock shocks are rebuildable
                            no they are not.

You can pay lots of money and maybe get a company like Works to rebuild them, but in the long run it would be better to get a set of after market shocks.
                            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                            82 Kat 1000 Project
                            05 CRF450x
                            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Hi,

I just thought I'd repost some research from Mr. Griffin.

**********<Quote Griffin>**********
                              For suspension upgrades, the front end is pretty simple: Progressive brand springs and fresh 15W fork oil. (http://www.mawonline.com has pretty good prices on Progressive products.) The rear end isn't so simple.

Most of these brands are available in 'eye to eye' and 'eye to clevis' configurations, in different lengths for twin shock GS models. The options are arranged in order of price, low to high.

1. $65-$90 Emgo/MDI: Found all over ebay, and at about every vendor on the internet. General consensus of users seems to be that they are ok quality, but very stiffly sprung. Essentially the bare minimum option from stock. (For example, see: http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/rear_shocks.htm)

2. $120 Redwing: Evidently no longer made, they are still available at www.loudfastugly.com . I've not been able to find anyone who's actually used them, but they appear to be of halfway decent quality.

3. $210-$230 Progressive 12 Series: Lots of information here and all over the web about them. Most people seem happy with them, several different spring weights available. Available at most online retailers. www.denniskirk.com is a vendor I have had great luck with over the years.

4. $218-$270 Hagon Type A: Seem very similar to Progressive 12 series as far as owner satisfaction, quality of construction, and price. Available in the USA at www.davequinnmotorcycles.com

5. $320-$400+ Ikon 76 Series: Generally pretty highly regarded, lots of options available. From what I've read on the internet, they do seem to be more highly regarded than Progressive. Can be found at http://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/servlet/StoreFront

6. $419-$589 Works Performance Steel Tracker: Very highly regarded, lots of positive reviews around the internet of Works Performance in general. Customer service (including rebuilding any brand of shock) is very highly rated. More info at http://www.worksperformance.com/html/home.html

There are other options available that can be more expensive, including offerings from Works, Ikon, Ohlins. White Brothers, once a powerhouse in the motorcycle industry, has ceased operations.

**********<End Quote>**********

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X