Pods in the rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pods in the rain

I've heard that pods are no good in the rain. Does this mean that you can't ride at all in the rain? Does this mean that bikes with pods tend to not run as well in the rain? I live in Washington state, if you're not going to ride in the rain you might as well not have a bike but I've seen bikes with pods around here. Can somebody give me the lowdown? -nick

Pod filters get wet when it rains. This is not a good thing. Water can get sucked into your engine and the water can contaminate the filtering ability and upset the carb mixture. Side winds can also upset carburation when it blows when you have pods. Of course, many people manage to get by just fine with pods in the rain and wind but if you plan on riding in incliment weather on a regular basis, pods are pretty foolhardy in my opinion.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Why don't you just order up the carb to airbox boots you need? They're a lot cheaper than pods
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

First, I'll say I personally am not a fan of pods. I had them on both my 1100's and no amount of tuning could eliminate the very, very slight hesitation on my CV carbs. That said, I have rode an 1100 with pods that ran flawlessly- and a 1000. And without a doubt there is a noticeable power gain with pods, pipe and well jetted carbs.

As far as water goes, I rode many, many thousands of miles in all conditions including pouring rain for hours on end and never had a problem with water.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Hi all,
          I have'nt been on this forum for a number year. And may have some information from K&N filters that will be food for thought. About 4 years ago I installed the complete power train from a 92 corvette with tuned port injection my 77 carb engine corvette. In that install this question came up, the filter had to be put in front of the radeator and lower to the ground than a GS. K&N said that this would not be a problem do to the filter media design. That being said my gs does'nt have and will not get pods installed this bike is a very good comuterer and I can only support one hot rod. Riding this bike in all weather condition, I have not noticed inside of my pants gettin wet, and in carb engines thay will run better with little water nist this is common on gasoline drag cars.

Comment

Hi all,
            I have'nt been on this forum for a number year. And may have some information from K&N filters that will be food for thought. About 4 years ago I installed the complete power train from a 92 corvette with tuned port injection my 77 carb engine corvette. In that install this question came up, the filter had to be put in front of the radeator and lower to the ground than a GS. K&N said that this would not be a problem do to the filter media design. That being said my gs does'nt have and will not be installing them, this bike is a very good comuterer and I can only support one hot rod. Riding this bike in all weather condition, I have not noticed inside of my pants gettin wet, and in carb engines thay will run better with little water nist this is common on gasoline drag cars.

Comment

Just washed my podded GS1000 today and got plenty of water on the pods. Started right up no problem. Can't say I've ever had a problem with it riding in the rain either....

Comment

Ive never had a problem with rain/water on pods either. I HAVE however noticed the bike became very irritated by strong side drafts (im talking STRONG however) with the pods tho.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  Ive never had a problem with rain/water on pods either. I HAVE however noticed the bike became very irritated by strong side drafts (im talking STRONG however) with the pods tho.
                  I noticed that my 750E became irritated with strong side winds when it was missing the side cover that covers the airbox opening for a while. I imagine side winds would be much worse with pods.
                  sigpic

SUZUKI:
                  1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                  HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                  KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                  YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                    I noticed that my 750E became irritated with strong side winds when it was missing the side cover that covers the airbox opening for a while. I imagine side winds would be much worse with pods.
                    Yeah i couldnt tell really what the actuall problem was to be honest. It didnt really feel like it was surging, like one would think, if it was getting TOO much air. What it felt like was almost like it wasnt getting ENOUGH air, like the side winds caused air to be drawn away from the pods intake path, and it was bogging like it was too rich...it was weird.

Comment

I've had no problem with rain or wind.

Oh yeah I hardly have either here.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

k and n pods for the 550 80-82 are very sensative to rain. They are not your typical shape pod filter. One filter covers 2 carbs so the filter ends up doing double duty. ANother thing that doesn't help is where the tank is located, when rain strikes the tank it runs off and dumps right on the filters.

That being said if you intend to be a all weather rider then pods are not good for your 550. But if you plan to ride on nice days only then go for it. don't forget to rejet with a dynojet kit. (I found the DJ150 mains worked the best) If you do a search you should find a post a did 2 years ago that tell part numbers you need to go to pods.
                        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                        82 Kat 1000 Project
                        05 CRF450x
                        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Seeing as how K&N filters are cleaned by washing in soap and water, why would anyone want to ride in the rain with them and suck dirt into the engine? Also, K&N filters don't filter very well under any condition - they flow lots of air but don't filter the air that well. Despite these downsides, K&N filters are like crack for most motorcyclists.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Did I miss your point?

Originally posted by ultrasound analyst View Post
                            Hi all,
                            I have'nt been on this forum for a number year. And may have some information from K&N filters that will be food for thought. About 4 years ago I installed the complete power train from a 92 corvette with tuned port injection my 77 carb engine corvette. In that install this question came up, the filter had to be put in front of the radeator and lower to the ground than a GS. K&N said that this would not be a problem do to the filter media design. That being said my gs does'nt have and will not be installing them, this bike is a very good comuterer and I can only support one hot rod. Riding this bike in all weather condition, I have not noticed inside of my pants gettin wet, and in carb engines thay will run better with little water nist this is common on gasoline drag cars.
                            I can't understand what your point is?
                            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

During the 2004 "SCUBA" Ride (AKA the 2004 Brown County GS Rally), the ride Saturday morning went through a violent, toad-strangler thunderstorm. Flooding, trees falling, lightning... and for some reason, several of us kept going. It was actually kinda fun.

Anyway, the bikes with pods had some problems that day. Probably about the closest to riding underwater you can get.

In many other rides in the rain, in more "normal" amounts of rain. the bikes with pods don't seem to have problems. In extreme rain, they do.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                              X