any good machine shops in Dallas Area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any good machine shops in Dallas Area?

I need some head work on my GS1100. I live in the north Dallas area and need to have my valve guide replaced.

I wanted to ask if anyone can give me a range of costs for machine shop head work? Also what is a head hot wash?

Comment

Go to the local dragstrip and ask the guys where they get their work done.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

chef, I don't even know any drag strips in the area. I'm sure there are probably a couple within a 30 mile radius but it just isn't anything I have been interested in. It is an excellent idea though.

I think I'll look for some custom shops in the area and see where they farm their work off too.

Comment

Beware of shops that do not specialize in air cooled engine work.

a fellow I know here did not take my advice and took his head to a local car oriented machine shop and had a freshly installed valve seat fall out. less than 1 hour on the engine and blam!!!

all he got was a shrug.

if you do not find a place.. There is one here . not cheap but it will be done right and once.
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Motorcycle specialties
            1616 Barnes bridge road
            Dallas
            (214)-328-5212

been in buisness 32 years

Comment

And as close as the big brown truck.
              Speed Merchant
              http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

i know a guy who did my 750 head. new seals cleaned, checked and lapped valves for $100. don't have his number but i can get it tomorrow if you like. just send a private message if you want it.

Comment

Heathen, Thanks for the post. I would like to call your contact and see if I can arrange the work in a timely manner.

Comment

i will try to get his number for you tomarrow if not i can get it over the holiday for sure.

Comment

This shop has moved to:
                      11505 Jupiter Rd.
                      Dallas, TX 75218

I meet with Ed Weatherby, the owner.

He was very sarcastic toward me and kept making comments about me being stuppid for trying to hammer the valve guide out. I admitted my stupidity and asked him if he could just fix it. He kept going on about reading the manual and heating the head to 350 and freezing the guide and that it was all in the manual. I told him I knew that NOW through the GS Forum but the "official GS Service Manual" nor the Clymers book did not talk about heating the head to 350 before removing. Anyhow he kept going on and I decided he wasn't the right guy to work on my head. I don't pay people to mock me and his shop is not a machine shop. Thanks for the recommendation but this guy is hard to work with.

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post
                      Motorcycle specialties
                      1616 Barnes bridge road
                      Dallas
                      (214)-328-5212

been in buisness 32 years

Comment

i still haven't been able to get the number of the guy that did mine. i will try again on sat. you might try cruse brothers bikes in garland. i haven't had any work done there but i bought an engine from him. seemed to know his stuff about old ujm's. i don't think he does machine work but he might have a name for you. you might try max long racing engines in irving. he does all the machine work on our racecar engines. i don't know if he will do bikes though.

Comment

I've used Dave at Cruse Brothers before and he was real good. He doesn't have the capacity to do machine shop work, but I will give him a call to see if he knows anybody that can do the work.

Thanks for trying to get me a contact. I really appreciate it.

Originally posted by heathen View Post
                          i still haven't been able to get the number of the guy that did mine. i will try again on sat. you might try cruse brothers bikes in garland. i haven't had any work done there but i bought an engine from him. seemed to know his stuff about old ujm's. i don't think he does machine work but he might have a name for you. you might try max long racing engines in irving. he does all the machine work on our racecar engines. i don't know if he will do bikes though.

Comment

Working...
                          X