my rear caliper is broke on my GS550T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my rear caliper is broke on my GS550T

My caliper piston was over extended and pushed it self out of the boot so now I need a new one. is there any thing i can do to fix this. I can completely remove the piston and of coarse fluid goes every where. so what can i do for the cheapest. my possible options

1.buy oem caliper off a cite
    2.buy used
    3.buy an upgrade set up from a 650 or what ever i dont know what makes an upgrade. i dont know what will fit.
    4.try to rebuild the thing but never done that before. i am mechanically inclined tho so not a trouble if possible.

ps if you look at my sig pic you will see my bike torn apart this is why this happened because I took the pads out. os any advise is helpful. i can post pics but not till tuesday.

Hi,

The piston is supposed to come out when you rebuild the caliper. Why not buy a rebuild kit and just finish the job? Most of the GS calipers are the same. The procedure in any manual should work for you. Sorry, I haven't rebuilt my calipers yet so I don't have a pictorial guide. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassClfif

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
      Hi,

The piston is supposed to come out when you rebuild the caliper. Why not buy a rebuild kit and just finish the job? Most of the GS calipers are the same. The procedure in any manual should work for you. Sorry, I haven't rebuilt my calipers yet so I don't have a pictorial guide. Keep us informed.

BassClfif

Well looks like im gunna have to make one then. and do you know where I can get one of the rebuild kits you speak of?

Thank you
      Jake
      God bless

Comment

You shoudn't need a new caliper. The piston is designed to push out of the caliper.
        I would purchase a new seal. Although you may want to risk the one already fitted if it wasn't leaking before.
        Remove the caliper from the bike, fully remove the piston, replace the seal, push the piston back in (with a bit of brake fluid on it for lubrication), replace pads etc. then bleed the brake.
        You should then have a fully operational brake.
        Last edited by waltfen; 11-24-2008, 05:58 AM.
        GS1000G

Comment

Originally posted by nisom512 View Post
          Well looks like im gunna have to make one then. and do you know where I can get one of the rebuild kits you speak of?

Thank you
          Jake
          God bless
          The best place for brake rebuild kits are from your friendly local Suzuki dealer. The price is competitive and all the proper seals and pistons are included as one price, not individually.

Look up the parts you need from here, take those part numbers to a Suzuki dealer near you or simply order them online.

Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

One caveat in all of this. If the piston shows signs of pitting or cracking of the chrome finish in the area that sits in the bore of the caliper junk it. As you may know, brake fluid is hydroscopic meaning it attracts water. Water causes rust. Rust can build up in the bore and will grow on the piston where there are pits and cracks and could jam the piston...ergo no brakes. Rust at the top of the piston or outside of the seal is ok but not on the skirt or in the groove for the seal.

Any gunge or crap in the caliper bore needs to be cleaned out but try and avoid gouging the sides. I like Scotch pads dipped in clean brake fluid for this.

Only clean the caliper inerds with clean brake fluid. Other chemicals can leave residue which can contaminate the fluid which can cause further problems.

If you are going to the trouble of cleaning and rebuilding the caliper, take the time and do a cleaning and rebuilding of the master cylinders as well. If the calipers are crappy, the masters are likely as well. Rebuild kits are available from places like Z1 enterprises, Bike Bandit etc. in addition to the local Zuk dealer. Easy enough to do if you follow the manual(s).

If you're flush (likely doubtful in these tough times) you could spring for some stainless steel brake lines if you haven't got them already. They make a huge difference to brake feel and performance and well worth the extra dosh.

Brake rebuilds are not hard just a little time consuming and fiddly. It is important however that you do it right and don't fudge things you're unclear on. Remember, your life could depend on it. If you don't feel up to it get a pro to do it.

Good luck with it.
            Cheers,
            Spyug.
            Last edited by Guest; 11-24-2008, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nisom512 View Post
              ... do you know where I can get one of the rebuild kits you speak of?
              Hi Mr. nisom512 (Jake),

There is a fairly extensive vendor list in the mega-welcome you received. My favs are Bikebandit and Z1 but I've also ordered from Alpha-sports and Flatout.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X