GS1000 caliper piston size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 caliper piston size

I've got GS1000 calipers on the front of my GS750 and I've been trying to buy stainless pistons for them. The pistons measure 38mm dia by 32mm long. I've been to www.wemoto.com who say that the pistons they list for GS1000 are 38 X 22 and they say they do not do any 38 X 32 pistons.
    Have I got rare or weird size calipers? Are they not GS1000 perhaps? Where can I get 38 X 32 stainless pistons?
    Thanks.
    Dom.

The ones listed by Wemoto are for the rear. From memory your front ones are the right length.

http://motorcycleproducts.co.uk/ have them listed
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Both www.wemoto.com AND www.motorcycleproducts.co.uk tell me that GS1000 pistons should be 38x38. So I'm confused. Why are mine 38x32?

Comment

The 38X38 pistons are for the later type of caliper (the 'square type' that came in circa 1980 or 81 and went on through the early GSX range). The 38X32 pistons are for the earlier round type - 77 onwards. Same as fitted to all the early GS models and, I think, the middle to later GTs as well.

I've just been and measured one of my old round type GS1000 pistons and it's 38X32.

Just to add confusion there are some GS models fitted with 38X36 - the first of the square type I think.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forum. BassCliff will be along with the official welcome shortly I'm sure.

I take it you're UK based - there's a few of us that lurk around here. If you fill in your location you might find someone who lives just around the corner.

Wally
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Thanks, Hampshirehog, for all the info and for goin out to the garage with your tape measure!
            Sorry to be a bit dim but - the site you directed me to has a section for piston & seal kits by make of bike but also a section for kits just by size of piston. In the latter, they have 38x32 pistons but how do I know they fit my calipers, are the right shape (the lip that takes the dust seal, etc), and come with the right seals? All we know is its a 38x32 piston!
            Thanks for the welcome, too. Have updated profile! (Hope no-one minds that I'm not a GS purist- mine's an old hard-tail chop I found and decided to finish!)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!

Hi Mr. domiles1,

Indeed, please click here for your mega-welcome. It is chock full of suggestions and links to vendors and other information. Then please feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website, where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Thanks for joining us. Don't forget, we like pictures. Not you, your bike!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X