X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New muffler

couple of questions?
    I am thinking of getting a new muffler from j c whitney the muffler name is
    DUNSTALL STYLE MEGAPHONE MUFFLER do i have to adjust the carbs all my bike has is a trait pipe with no buffle.
    another question at idle what revolitions does it has to be at.
    thanks

First things first my friend. What bike are we talking about? what if any modifications to the intake are we talking? Stock, jet kit, air filter or cones?

If you're currently running straight pipes with no baffles and stock otherwise ( carbs and aircleaners), putting on these muffs shouldn't make a tremendous difference other than making things quieter. The air mixture will change a bit going toward the richer side so you may need to lean things up a tad by turning your air mixture screws in a smidge but I wouldn't fiddle 'til you try them.

If it is a stock bike you might even find it runs better with these muffs.

Slap 'em on and lets see what you get.

Cheers and good luck with the project.

Spyug.

Comment

Hi,

Most GS bikes idle at 1050 rpm, +/- 100 rpm.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Again, the bike model will affect what you decide to go with, BUT some people (myself included) have walked into their local HD dealer and walked out with a set of stock HD pipes (several different styles available) for FREE. It seems that many HD buyers have the stock, quiet pipes removed and replaced before they ever leave the dealership, and the dealership winds up with a pile of pipes nobody ever wants.

When I walked into my local dealership, I explained that I had an old UJM ("universal Japanese motorcycle") that I was trying to find replacement mufflers for, and that I had heard that if I asked nicely they might have some discarded HD pipes lying around that I could try experimenting with. Five minutes later I was walking out with two pristine mufflers which, ironically I never got around to putting on (they went to somebody else).

Chances are you'll need to rejet after putting aftermarket pipes of any kind on your bike, but at least this gives you more options...

Good Luck and

Regards,

Comment

sorry about that guys it is a 1982 gs 850 L

Comment

Working...
          X