Oil Cooler info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Cooler info

I am looking at putting a Lockhart oil cooler on my '81 750E. Anybody using this set up? Will putting it on get me booted off this site as a heretic?
    I have a Windjammer with lowers, so adding cooling to the oil seems logical.

Jun I just took my oil cooler off because even here in florida I was not able to get the oil temperature up to 212 all winter. Another old goat has mentioned that the engines are well designed and really dont need one. I see it that way after having mine on fo a whole year or so. the engine oil temp get to where it should be now and when the real heat comes south, i will use shnthetic oil if i feel i need to drop the engine temp a few degrees. I usually use shnthetic in the summer any how. Just sticking my 2 cents into this thread.

Comment

I had a full fairing years ago. Without a decent size cooler it fried the Martek ignition I had and I had to rebuild the motor at 70,000 kms.

I have found it better to run a decent size cooler, particularly since I hotted up the motor. In winter cover up the cooler, but mine runs warm in winter as well. The oil also last longer with a cooler, and engine tolerances stay tighter. If you can't fit one change the oil a lot more often...2500 kms or so.

This is my 23 years experince with the bike. If you only want 10 years out of the bike or less, no need to worry so much.

Comment

I run a Lockhart Race oil cooler with braided lines on my 82 750. I find the oil cooler really helps alot with cooling, my motor is highly modified and can run very hot. As for keeping the temperature up in cooler weather, this is simple. Just run the next size plugs to run the motor hotter. I use the hotter plugs in the spring and fall and the cooler plugs in the summer. The oil cooler also lets you add about an extra half a litre of oil to the motor, this also helps cooling. I think an oil cooler is a good investment on these motors, to go from air cooled to air and oil cooled is a benifit for sure.

Dr. Dre

Comment

An oil cooler is a nice addition. I have a Derale auto thermostat job on my ride and it works nicely.

Comment

where can i get one of these oil coolers i have an 1982 gs650GL

Comment

I run in a lot of heavy traffic, especially in the summer ( I live near the shore, where everybody in Jersey vacations at). Also spend time on our Parkway ( short for Parking lot highWay). How can I run a temp guage on this bike? I've heard put a sensor in the drain plug, do they still make a retro-fit plug for these?

Comment

Has anybody ever tried using an automatic transmission cooler instead of the bike specific coolers? There seems to be quite a few different sized units available.

Steve

Comment

Most of the trans coolers I have seen are too big and have no convient way to mount themand are not up to the vibrations on a MC. another idea is to find a power steering pump cooler.

Comment

You can also use a power steering cooler off an older Ford.I think 78-95 or so used them.Many others may have too but I'm not sure.They are small about 4" long-2 1/2 thick and 3 1/2 high.

Comment

I did have an automotive plate stack cooler on until last year, when it decided to have a split (at the start of a track day no less!). The smaller auto transmission coolers should do the job, or power steer coolers. You may have to make up a rubber mount to stop the vibration.

I now have a small Derale cooler I bought at the start of the 80s (morale, never throw out old parts!). A bit small so I will replace before summer (it is the start of winter here). After a little round town riding, no hard stuff, you cannot touch the cooler as it is too hot.

Having seen the size of the oil cooler on the GSX1400, you cannot have a big enough cooler (it even has a fan that cuts in at high temps)

Comment

I USED AN OIL OOLER FROM A HONDA THAT I BOUGHT ON EBAY. i CUT OFF THE FITTINGS AND FLARED THE STEEL TUBING. I bleieve that any oil cooling device will do the job. If i ever do it again I will opt for the thermostat. I once put a brass ball valve in the line to shut off the flow when it was too warm out but it oozed too much for my liking.

Comment

I'm sure any small radiator can be made to fit good, it's the connecting to the block that I wasn't sure about. I've got a bead on a Lockhart still in box for my '81 with all fittings. If nothing else, the extra 1/2 quart or so of oil will help cool the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny Aitch
                            I'm sure any small radiator can be made to fit good, it's the connecting to the block that I wasn't sure about. I've got a bead on a Lockhart still in box for my '81 with all fittings. If nothing else, the extra 1/2 quart or so of oil will help cool the motor.
                            I lucked out John. Vic camargo gave me an adaptor to replace the oil filter cover. They are like hens teeth these days.

Comment

I should add I have the propoer Yoshimura full flow oil cooler adaptor on, so what sort of cooler is easy!

I also forgot to add that the auto style cooler I had on lasted for 15 years before failing...junk really )

If you want to think about a thermostat, Permacool (a search on the net will bring it up) makes ones for automotive cooler use, so should work on the roller crank GS models. I have not tried looking one up in Australia yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X