My GS1150 is cranking slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My GS1150 is cranking slow

So I took my 1150 out for its first ride since I purchased it, did a little work to it (chain, sprockets, tire, oil leaks, etc..), and got it registered and insured.

Well I bolted the license plate on, got all ready, hit the key, it cranked twice and the battery was dead. So I got the booster pack out and started the bike, after warming it up for a few minutes I was on the road! What a sweet bike, the vibrations are gone in the bars... I guess the stock grips and bar end weights took care of that. Plus the bike is running really well after the valve adjustment.

So I get home after a 20 mile shake down, and decide to check the battery volts. 12 volts. I then decide to fire the bike back up to see how it starts, cranking was less than impressive... but it did fire up.

I don't recall it ever doing this when I purchased the bike. It must need a big crank battery?

Or it could be muck on you starter motor brushes / armature or worn brushes. These bikes shouldn't need a big crank battery but if it is your battery that's up the spout it wouldn't hurt to replace it with something better.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I guess it wouldn't hurt to pull the starter and give it a cleaning. Is it a big deal to pull the brushes?

Comment

Originally posted by CB900SS View Post

So I get home after a 20 mile shake down, and decide to check the battery volts. 12 volts. I then decide to fire the bike back up to see how it starts, cranking was less than impressive
        Ya gotta check the battery voltage while its running. If you dont have 14VDC or better at 2K rpm I have but two words for you........"Stator Papers"

What that means is your charging system is on the fritz. You may have 1, 2, 3 or 4 possible failures. RR (regulator/rectifier), Stator, and wires/connectors between them. Could also be a bad battery.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by CB900SS View Post
          I guess it wouldn't hurt to pull the starter and give it a cleaning. Is it a big deal to pull the brushes?
          It's a bit fiddly pulling the starter motor out (may be easier on an 1150 if you've got room under the carbs). Once you've done that it's easy to work on. Measure the brushes while you're in there. I don't know which model starter you've got (Zook used several types) but if the brushes are approaching the service limit (which is model dependant) I'd replace them.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hey CB....
            Had slow cranking issues with my 1150 too...posted some info on it a while back.
            First make sure you don't have a charging problem...seems that's very common with these bikes. The Stator Papers here on this site are a good place to start.
            If it is charging...then it might be what was wrong with mine.
            It wouldn't start after running for several hours.
            What I found was that the starter it's self wasn't grounding to the engine.
            The only ground is where the starter connects to the block with two bolts. I cleaned the starter and block with some sandpaper and the bolts with a wire brush. I put some di-electric grease on them for good measure and that cured my problem...spins just fine now regardless of how hot it gets.
            I did clean up the insides of the starter as well...but it was OK inside.
            Hope that helps...
            ED

Comment

Originally posted by hcritz View Post
              Hey CB....
              Had slow cranking issues with my 1150 too...posted some info on it a while back.
              First make sure you don't have a charging problem...seems that's very common with these bikes. The Stator Papers here on this site are a good place to start.
              If it is charging...then it might be what was wrong with mine.
              It wouldn't start after running for several hours.
              What I found was that the starter it's self wasn't grounding to the engine.
              The only ground is where the starter connects to the block with two bolts. I cleaned the starter and block with some sandpaper and the bolts with a wire brush. I put some di-electric grease on them for good measure and that cured my problem...spins just fine now regardless of how hot it gets.
              I did clean up the insides of the starter as well...but it was OK inside.
              Hope that helps...
              ED
              That sounds like a petty good tip for all of us ,right there. Well done.Cheers,Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

The bike charges just fine, 14.5v at 2k plus.

I will make sure the starter is grounded when I pull it. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

It turns out the battery had very little water in it. So I filled it up and charged it, the bike cranks fine now and the battery seems to be holding a good charge.

The trouble is my charging system seems to be only putting out 13.9v now.

Comment

If it is putting out 13.9 don't worry about it, you are fine. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                      If it is putting out 13.9 don't worry about it, you are fine. Ray.
                      That's what my uncle says. Thanks Ray.

Comment

Working...
                      X