What is this tank coated with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this tank coated with?

Folk's I got another rescue job, just got it home and I can see it needs allot of work. I opened the gas cap to have a look inside the tank. It has been coated with something that has potent spirit chemical smell, I can't name but sort of like old and curdled, oil base paint, and the coating has a peach color with a semi hardness to it. What is this stuff?
    Let me know your guess.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    Folk's I got another rescue job, just got it home and I can see it needs allot of work. I opened the gas cap to have a look inside the tank. It has been coated with something that has potent spirit chemical smell, I can't name but sort of like old and curdled, oil base paint, and the coating has a peach color with a semi hardness to it. What is this stuff?
    Let me know your guess.
    probably Creme with a scent of very old gas turned into varnish.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

probably gone off fuel or a mixture of fuel & poorly applied tank sealer

Comment

Sounds like Creme, POR 15 makes a Creme remover chemical.
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

It's actually spelled Kreem, and it's Komplete Krap. I have no idea why it seems like every cycle shoppe sells Kreem kits -- the stuff simply does not work.

POR15 is the Right Stuff:
          Here's the Heavy Duty kit with the stripper to remove the failed Kreem:
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

It's actually spelled Kreem, and it's Komplete Krap. I have no idea why it seems like every cycle shoppe sells Kreem kits -- the stuff simply does not work.
            Agreed. It was one of the first way back in leaded gas days. But those days are gone and Kreem is dissolved by alcohol as well as some of the other chemicals with names longer than this sentence. it is also prone to puddling on application and never giving a very good seal.

Here is another good coating for consideration,

Comment

Working...
            X