Cleaning fuel pump - is it possible ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning fuel pump - is it possible ?

My G has only 2,500 miles, and sat for a long time before I bought it. P/O rebuilt carbs, and ran it for about 500 miles before it came to me.
    I rode only about 50 miles before the fuel pump stopped working.
    I'm thinking maybe it's gummed-up.
    Has anyone tried putting some cleaner into a pump to make it work again? Someone told me they did it, and the pump started working again.
    I'll know in a few days if this method works.

huh???
    pump??
    what pump??
    ok i will research but i didnt think a G had a fuel pump.
    pre-injected GSXR'S was gravity feed only

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
      huh???
      pump??
      what pump??

try:
      http://www.gsx1100g.com

says the site is down but soon to re-open.
      ive never worked on a late G model.
      i had no idea they had a pump

Comment

huh???
        pump??
        what pump??
        1993 GSX1100G does have a fuel pump. I wish it didn't.

Comment

try:
          http://www.gsx1100g.com

says the site is down but soon to re-open.
          ive never worked on a late G model.
          i had no idea they had a pump
          That site has been out for a few years. I guess the guy running it didn't have the time.
          I am on the Yahoo! GSX forum and some of those guys said my pump may be saved.
          Last edited by Guest; 11-26-2008, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Is the pump serviceable? Can you take it apart and clean it properly instead of using snake oil?
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Well, it can't hurt.

I've degummed carbs by draining the gas and filling with carb cleaner for a few days. Techron works especially well.
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Is it a vacuum-operated pump or electric?

A vacuum-operated pump (as used on the VX800) shouldn't be exposed to carb cleaner, since the chemical will damage the rubber diaphragms and such inside.

An electric pump, I dunno. I'd still start by flushing with something milder than carb cleaner if possible.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  Is it a vacuum-operated pump or electric?

A vacuum-operated pump (as used on the VX800) shouldn't be exposed to carb cleaner, since the chemical will damage the rubber diaphragms and such inside.

An electric pump, I dunno. I'd still start by flushing with something milder than carb cleaner if possible.
                  It's electric.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Is the pump serviceable? Can you take it apart and clean it properly instead of using snake oil?
                    Unfortunately not.

Comment

give it a few taps, if it starts working the brushes are probably sticking. in that case its probably best to replace it.

Comment

+1 on the few taps. I had a electric fuel pump on my 85 madura. When I got the bike, it was balky. Gave it a few taps with hammer and cleaned contacts, came back to life. Test it by pulling off outlet hose and applying power. Most have a quantity delivered spec but if it is pushing a full sized stream you are usually good.

I had found on that bike, once it had reached pressure it would shut off. This made it hard at first to know if it was working. I also ran into trouble with getting it primed again after running out of fuel. I ended up wiring a switch to manual run pump in this situation. Will have to admit, this was prior to fixing the previous owners overly rich carb settings. Made it a real pain to start.

How do you like your newer G? I test drove one that had been abused with a ragged slipping clutch and almost bought it still. Looking for one in future.

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
                          +1 on the few taps. I had a electric fuel pump on my 85 madura. When I got the bike, it was balky. Gave it a few taps with hammer and cleaned contacts, came back to life. Test it by pulling off outlet hose and applying power. Most have a quantity delivered spec but if it is pushing a full sized stream you are usually good.

I had found on that bike, once it had reached pressure it would shut off. This made it hard at first to know if it was working. I also ran into trouble with getting it primed again after running out of fuel. I ended up wiring a switch to manual run pump in this situation. Will have to admit, this was prior to fixing the previous owners overly rich carb settings. Made it a real pain to start.

How do you like your newer G?
                          Thanks for the info.
                          I like the G. I had a new one in '93, and bought this one a few months ago because it is such a nice bike. It's big and strong, and I like the shaft.

Comment

jeeeeeze! I just checked and that puppy is $226usd. you could get a small generic one and a regulator from autozone for a fraction of that.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post
                              jeeeeeze! I just checked and that puppy is $226usd. you could get a small generic one and a regulator from autozone for a fraction of that.
                              That's what I was going to say!
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X