ignition timing for gs1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignition timing for gs1100e

ok so i did a valve adjustment on my gs1100e and in the process of pulling off the ignition cover on the side to turn the crank, i saw that the screws that hold the sensors for the CDI have been cranked on. SO i would like to check the timing with a light but the manual I have doesnt seem to have the timing specs. does anyone know what these are? there has been a lot of rigged things on this bike so i don't doubt the timing has been tampered with. any help would be appreciated. thanks

Justin

What year ? My 1983 book shows 12 degrees BTDC at 1500 rpm +or- 150 rpm then goes to 32 degrees BTDC above 2300 rpm +or- 150 rpm. With a timing light the "F" mark of cylinder 1 and 4 lines up to the index line below 1500 rpm.

Comment

its a 1980. thanks for the info. i will see if i can get it started and check to see where its at

Comment

if its a stock trigger plate..
        twist it full counter clockwise.
        the factory didnt build in more timing then it could use or enough to hurt it.
        if im ass-backwards on which way to rotate the plate someone inform me.
        now on the pre-80 (points type)suzuki's...
        thats a differant story..they must be timed.

Comment

Counter-clockwise will advance the timing.
          There is a space on the top left under the ignition cover where you can see timing marks. Remove the top screw that holds the timing plate on. There is a timing mark on the plate and one on the ignition. Line these up and go.
          If you want to use a light at idle hook into the #4 plug wire and line up F1&4 with the mark. Hit the throttle and it should advance to the next timing mark. They should both be spot on or your advance isn't working properly.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X