got some twisted forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got some twisted forks

Hit a curb(not me the guy I bout my bike from) and the front forks twisted not bad still drivable but it is a visual difference.... My question is has anyone tried to straighten them and how? Thankx

are they just tweaked in the trees or are the forks bent? If they are bent I can help ya.

Comment

how do i know the diffrence? they seem to be more twisted than bent.

Comment

you will have to take the forks out of the trees...probably have to disassemble the forks to tell. Lot of trouble isn`t it?

Comment

yeah it is... what do i do once i know? had someone else look at them and he said theyre bent although minutely... now what? and how much? $$$

Comment

OK this is how I have repaired many slightly bent forks. By lightly I mean no obvious super bad places in the fork just not straight. Go get your self two blocks of wood much like a 4 by 4 around 6 inches long. Actually a 6 by 6 may be better. Measure the diameter of your forks...41mm,,,36mm..etc. There is a adjustable drill bit that any wood working shop will have. Bore a hole throught the block of wood the diameter of the block. Cut both blocks in half. Take your fork tube to a press...doesn`t need to be a 50 ton just something adequate. Lay two of the blocks down with the half hole side up. Lay your fork tubes in those...fit good don`t they? Then take another of the halves and use it on the press side to bent your fork tubes back straight. This way will leave no indentions or bent places in your forks. You will need some kind of long straight edge to check your tubes with. Be easy and careful...play with them ..you can get them perfect again if you take your time. I am running a set of 1100F forks on a cbx now that were given up...been on there for years with no problems. Good luck and I hope this works for ya. Chris

Comment

That should have said bore a hole the diameter of the fork...my mind and fingers can`t get it together at times 8O

Comment

If you want to check whether the tubes are bent you have to take them out of the triple-trees and remove the tubes from the lower housing.

Roll the tubes over something flat like a piece of glass. Any bend, even slightly bent, will show up.

If the tubes are only twisted in the triple-trees you can set them straight easily enough. Look in the tips forum, I posted about how to do it there a few weeks ago.

Kim

Comment

thanks so much KK appreciate it

Comment

Working...
                  X