Tank cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank cleaning

I have found at least two radiator shops here in Omaha, Ne. that will do the fuel tank cleaning for me. I have only talked to one of the shops in person but he told me they do this all the time. Should be quite experienced at it. More so than I would be.
    The process is to dip the tank and boil it out then put an acid wash in it to etch the metal and finally the coating. Cost is $65 which I did not think was too bad since they have done a lot of these and should be able to produce a "professional" finished product.
    Only bad thing is the fact that they do not guarantee the paint on the tank. He said some tanks are not fazed by the dip tank and others will remove the paint. I guess maybe a fair trade off for having a rusty tank looking like new again.

What kind of questions should I ask the shop before taking my tank into them? I have seen some posting on here from some of the GS owners who are dead set against "Kreem".
    So should I ask what type of coating the shop will put in the tank and be quite concerned if it is indeed Kreem?
    What kind of "look" should this cleaning and re-coating produce inside the tank. I guess it should be a very smooth finish, right?

Thanks for any input you can give me and oh by the way, I want to take this opportunity to wish all you GS owners out there a very Happy Thanksgiving.
    P.S......this is a great forum. Thanks for being here for all of us.

Larry
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

There are a number of products to coat gas tanks besides Kreme.
    They are designed for the do it yourselfer. Kit includes rust remover and a coating product. I was afraid to do it myself (acids), so on my last bike I let a cycle shop do it for me. The kits run around $50-$60 and the shop charged me about $100 for labor. The kit on my bike left a dark finish inside.
    Doing it this way preserves your paint.
    I'm sure others will come along with their suggestions.
    Good luck.

Comment

POR15 seems to have a better reputation than Kreme. The kit comes with everything you need to clean, etch and coat your tank:

Comment

A lot of people here don't like Kreem. Probably from buying bikes with bad coating jobs.

My 78 was Kreemed back in the early 80's (by me). Like any coating job, prep is all important. It's held up for 15 years with no problems.
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hi,

Evapo-rust is one option. Or...

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I like the "do not gaurantee the paint" part. There wont be any paint on it at all to gaurantee, Ive had them done iin the past. I used 2 gallons of Greased Lightning mixxed with water on mine , stirred it every day for 2 weeks then rinsed it until crap stopped coming out, a long time. The tank had set 9 years with gas in it and it came out looking like new with no paint damage. I did grease the outside of the tank just to be sure. Messy job, but it worked. I dont like tank sealers , Ill just keep it full. Wear gloves and eye protection, its some strong stuff.

Comment

I've heard that there isn't too huge of a difference if the coating on the inside is done correctly. Many people say with the proper prep their Kreem job is holding up for as long as the bike is. POR 15 is more popular.. just see if the shop will warranty the coating and guarantee they remove the rust, then you don't have to worry. Get it done right, then worry about repainting if you need to.

Comment

Most radiator shops will use "red kote" to seal the tank.

Carey

Comment

Originally posted by carey View Post
                  Most radiator shops will use "red kote" to seal the tank.

Carey
                  My sons CL360 tank was done with redkote 12 years ago and it looks like the day they applied it. Evapo-Rust works good, but you'll need a gallon to do the job well. Just keep rotating the tank and let it set for a day or more each rotation. Doesn't harm paint as near as I can tell and you can reuse it.

Comment

Originally posted by woodman View Post
                    I like the "do not gaurantee the paint" part. There wont be any paint on it at all to gaurantee, Ive had them done iin the past. I used 2 gallons of Greased Lightning mixxed with water on mine , stirred it every day for 2 weeks then rinsed it until crap stopped coming out, a long time. The tank had set 9 years with gas in it and it came out looking like new with no paint damage. I did grease the outside of the tank just to be sure. Messy job, but it worked. I dont like tank sealers , Ill just keep it full. Wear gloves and eye protection, its some strong stuff.
                    Where do I get the Greased Lightning?
                    I also have a coating in the tank now from the PO. Guess I will have to remove that some way.
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Home Depot , Lowes or most any hardware store, its about $10 a gallon or 5 gal can for $30. I dont know if it will remove a coating though but it did remove 9 years of rust & stale gas sludge

Comment

I've heard that methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) can be used to remove tank coatings, but it will probably destroy any paint it comes in contact with.

Comment

what if its just cleaned out well with acid or whatnot and not sealed with redkote, por15, or kreem? if its clean and the tank is good, the tank shouldnt need to be sealed up, right?

Comment

just pasing on a shade tree repair i was told about. I DID NOT TRY IT
                            take the gas tank and put about 3 hand fulls of NUTS & BOLTS in the tank. shake it for as long as you can stand it. maybe watch war and peace . it will chip all of the rust in the tank without denting the tank. then wash out the tank. like i said i have never done this myself.

Comment

Originally posted by jed.only View Post
                              what if its just cleaned out well with acid or whatnot and not sealed with redkote, por15, or kreem? if its clean and the tank is good, the tank shouldnt need to be sealed up, right?
                              In my experience it's best to seal the metal after derusting the tank. The rust tends to come back quite quickly otherwise.

Regarding nuts and bolt in the tank, using some pea gravel or better yet aquarium rocks is much more effective because they have more contact surfaces with the tank; aquarium rocks are best of since they have sharp corners that really scrub the metal.
                              Last edited by Nessism; 12-24-2008, 03:36 PM.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X