Exhaust flares????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust flares????

Can anybody tell me the correct name for or part number for what I am calling exhaust flares. I am talking about the part that goes on the end of each header pipe and is engaged by the flanges and space them out and also press against the exhaust gaskets. The only possible piece I could find on the parts blow-up was described as: 1415549000A PLATE, EXHAUST PIPE. Is this correct?

Thanks

Yes that's what it is called. used only on cyl 2&3

Comment

Sir,
      Thanks very much for your courteous reply. However, I think we may be talking about two different things. There is one of these items on the head end of each exhaust header pipe. Not just cyl 2&3. Without them there is nothing to seal up against the gaskets in the heads. I should perhaps have mentioned this is on a 1983 GS100E
      Thanks,
      Gregr

Comment

Ooohh, let's clear one thing up quickly ... SqDancerLynn1 is NOT a "sir".
        She happens to be a rather capable 850 rider and wrench-turner.

Now to your question: The "part" you are looking for is actually a flange that is part of the exhaust pipe, not a separate item. If somebody has cut them off your pipes, you will need new pipes.
        Oh, and I was not aware that they made a GS100E in any year. I am guessing your keyboard got sticky and you meant GS1000E?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Some of the 1000 bike exhaust systems have seperate flanges on some of the pipes. The "Plate, Exhaust Pipe" part seems to be the half circle pieces that press the head pipe into the head.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

yup, it's two half-round pieces that fit inbetween the header pipe end and the flange on the TWO pipes that are one-piece with the muffler - these can be either the two centre or the two outer pipes depending on the exhaust model
            they are used so the flages can be taken off even though the header and the muffler are a one-piece assembly
            GS850GT

Comment

If my thinking is right these are what we in the uk call collets (similar to valve collets) they can easilly be made from a short piece of the correct size tube

Comment

Firstly, my apology to SqDancerLynn1 for my chauvanistic assumption. I think I also need to iclude more particulars, such as my system is a Kerker 4 into 1 system. The devices in question would be like a piece of tubing whose inside diameter is the same as the header pipe outside diameter, about two inches long with a flare at one end the goes against the gaskets. The bolt flanges are stopped by the forward edge and that allows them to tighten agaist the inside of the head.

Comment

Originally posted by gregr View Post
                  The devices in question would be like a piece of tubing whose inside diameter is the same as the header pipe outside diameter, about two inches long with a flare at one end the goes against the gaskets. The bolt flanges are stopped by the forward edge and that allows them to tighten agaist the inside of the head.
                  Correct exhaust collets lol
                  as ive said if you cant find any they are easy enough to make

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    I am guessing your keyboard got sticky and you meant GS1000E?
                    I dont think Slozuki made a 1000 in 1983... Must be a 1100
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                      I dont think Slozuki made a 1000 in 1983... Must be a 1100
                      OK, ya got me on that one.

But, ... it's guaranteed that there was no 100.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        it's guaranteed that there was no 100.
                        1983 Suzuki 100.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                          1983 Suzuki 100.

yeah, i wonederd what the old DRs were in ccm
                          surely though, they dont take 4-1 header now, do they?
                          GS850GT

Comment

It is a 1983 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                              yeah, i wonederd what the old DRs were in ccm
                              surely though, they dont take 4-1 header now, do they?
                              No BUT...that would be one crazy looking bike!

HMMMM a 4-cylinder two stroke Suzuki...HMMMM a GT with a kick?

Who's GOOD at welding cast block's together?

Saw an open class 'sled' with 4 600cc trip Polaris's welded together, what a sound when it fired up!

Comment

Working...
                              X