Shaking handlebar when braking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaking handlebar when braking

When applying brakes to slow down a bit, all seems fine, no shaking/vibrating.
    I only noticed this when having to break a bit harder than normal. Usually just before the bike comes to a complete standstill.

I'm not sure where to start looking (and did not get a chance when I got home last night...had to jump into the 4 wheeled cage with the fiance to meet people...)

My first though is disc and pads. Although over the weekend when checking oil, I did look at the discs and they looked fine - no scratches etc as in worn pads. Did not check the pads and will do that this weekend.

Did not notice any warping of the disc - suppose not seeing it by eye does not been it's not there, but thought the same vibrating will happen with any braking.

Could it be the bearings from the steering?

Any suggestions where to start and what to look for will be appreciated.
    And I apologize in advance if I ask stupid questions...still learning where everything sits and what things are called.
    (In local skydiving terms I'll be called a whaffo...what's that for, what's that for??... )

Thanks
    Jacques

check your steering head bearings first, sounds like there could be a bit of play there. also check your front wheel bearings for play. just to be on the safe side, also check all bolts,nuts and fixings are tight on the front end
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

FWIW, check the front tire for scalloped sides. I had a similar problem with a GS1150ES I had few yrs back. Everything else checked out fine.
      Good luck,
      Willie in TN
      Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
      '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
      '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
      '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        check your steering head bearings first, sounds like there could be a bit of play there. also check your front wheel bearings for play. just to be on the safe side, also check all bolts,nuts and fixings are tight on the front end
        Steering head bearings (beat me to it ) Tires can contribute to a decel wobble, but seem to amplify loose or worn steering head bearings. IMHO

-greg
        Loud pipes saves squirrel lives.....

Comment

What Bike?? Sliding head calipers may be in need of thorough cleaning and some lube. Brake fluid flush and change?? dirty fluid may be clooging the return port, when you check the front end bearing also do the rear; swingarm and wheel, as some rear end symptoms may appear to come from the front.

Dink

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!

Hi Mr. Chaka,

It's seems you've posted only a few times since joining us in September with your GS(X)750. I bid you a belated welcome to the forum. Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of suggestions and links to vendors and other information (but mostly in the States). Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website for lots of GS lovin' and wisdom I've collected from this generous community. Thanks for joining us. We like pictures. Not you, your bike!

I'd say your front end wobble is just about covered; worn steering bearings, worn wheel bearings, worn tires, worn brake components, maybe even misaligned forks? Check them all and let us know.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X