'82 550L Carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 550L Carb question

First of all, I just found this site and am impressed with the amount of member interaction and help. Maybe your experiences can help me too. I am having a hard time getting my 550 to idle at a steady speed. The condition exsisted before I took the carbs apart and cleaned them (they were amazingly clean when disassembled!). the idle fluctuates wildly which makes it extremely hard to nail down any carb adjustments. Right now I am thinking float adjustment is off and have pulled the carbs back off to do this. The problem being that my haynes manual is very generic in its specifications for float adjustment giving only one measurement for several years and models of carb. All the floats at this time are set to 28mm. Is this starving the carbs causing the fluctuations? Any input would be most welcome.

There are other things that may cause this. If the valve clearances are too tight it may try to idle when cold and then after warming up the clearances may be too tight to let the valves close and you get an erratic idle due to incorrect manifold vacuum. It could also have a spark plug wire arcing to ground at irregular intervals affecting the idle. I wish you luck. I have a 83 GS550L and had both these problems.

Comment

After "fiddlin" around with it all day, here is where I'm at. The fluctuation I was having appears to be from the throttle stop screw being screwed in too far. It must have been bogging from to much gas, and then building up to higher revs before bogging again? *shrug* no idea. I do know that when i backed it off my idle came down and smothed out. Great! I have a smooth idle....right? Well almost *chuckle* I can't seem to get it to idle unless I leave the choke on about 1/4 no matter how much I adjust the mixture screw. Can someone tell me if the screw is for air or fuel? My book is worthless and I cant seem to find the info in past posts.

Comment

for the 550 set you mixture screws at 3.5 turns out and see how that work for you.

ryan
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
          for the 550 set you mixture screws at 3.5 turns out and see how that work for you.

ryan
          mines a 83 gs550e, so im hopeing the motors are the same....so now the follow up...

are these the screws on the outside of teh carbs? the resest <SP> ones?

Comment

Working...
          X