Chin to Shaft? Can it be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chin to Shaft? Can it be done?

I have a '79 GS1000 and really love the bike itself and dont want to go to the G touring or "cruiser" style bikes. But I am tired of the chain thing.

Is it at all possible to convert this chain drive bike to a shafty

Re: Chin to Shaft? Can it be done?

I dont think you can make the change without installing the "G" configuration engine. A much cheaper and easier alternative would be to install a Scott Oiler. Theyre vacuum actuated and run from a small oil tank you install.
    The only thing you have to do is remember to fill the oil tank once in a while.
    :-) Dink is using one and can elaborate more than I can. Installing one is on my list of things to do, but I havent yet.

Earl

Originally posted by Rake Pierce
    I have a '79 GS1000 and really love the bike itself and dont want to go to the G touring or "cruiser" style bikes. But I am tired of the chain thing.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Even I won't go as far as putting chin to shaft. I value my chin to much!

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
        Even I won't go as far as putting chin to shaft. I value my chin to much!

Nick
        If you really valued your chin you wouldnt be scoffing at the way Rake spelled chain. He's a giant

Comment

If you like the idea of the shaft driven bike but dont like the riding style because of the seat or bars it would be much easier to change them than to try to convert a chain to a shaft driven bike. Seats and bars can be changed in just a few minutes where a mod like than could take days or weeks and you dont even know if it will work.

Comment

Where does the transverse driveline switch to the rear facing output? I assume it is done with a pair of hypoid gears to make the 90 degree turn so maybe there is a very very slight chance of replacing those gears with an output shaft for the sprocket.

Steve

Comment

Re: Chin to Shaft? Can it be done?

Originally posted by Rake Pierce

C'Mon Rake, the only physical similarity between the magnificent "race bred" GS chain driven motorcycles, and their porcine shaft driven touring sisters, is probably the front wheel?

Different frame, rear end and engine/gearbox, tank and seat at first glance, and probably lots more. Unless you've got a complete shaftie that's just missing a front wheel, stick with that beautiful chain drive bike mate, oil that chain and stop your whining..... :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

The 80-81 GS1000G and the 82-83 GS1100G are very much the same standard styling as the GS1000E except that they are shaft drive. Trading over to one of those would be the best and cheapest solution.

Comment

I have a copy of an article comparing the chain and shaft versions of the Suzuki and Kawasaki 1000s. For the Suzukis the shaft was less sporting, a bit heavier but not too bad (for riding, long term maintenace is another issues). The kawasakis were a lot different. The Suzuki shaft was way ahead of the others. Keep the chain drive and get a shaft Suzi as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X