Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

couple of questions

hello everybody.
    first question how can i give my 1982 gs 850 l more power.
    Question number two, my rpms at idel register at 1500 how can i lower the rpms.
    question number three, i am thinking about replacing the original air box with a CHROMED BREATHER FILTER AND RELOCATION KIT is this a good
    idea?

The 'easy way' is to dump the airfilter box and replace with 4 individual K&N filters plus put on a free flowing exhaust. However, it ain't easy to get it to run right and unless you've had loads of experience in getting carbs wrong and then getting them right I'd advise against it. The 850s with CV carbs are b*ggers to get right as well and chances are you'll end up with something much worse.

Best concentrating on getting the bike set up 100% properly first (there are loads that aren't) ...or get a 1000.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Buy a GSXR. The 850 is a great bike. I love mine. Unless you are a tinkerer It is best to leave your bike stock. There is a knob between the #2&3 carbs that adjusts the idle

Comment

I,d also suggest against it, If you want a hot rod, the GS850, to me, is a terrible choice. They are great, for what they were made for, comfort, smoothness, low maintenance, and longevity. That said, the 850 engine is just another GS engine, whatever you would do to any other GS engine will work for the 850, just a lot less performance parts available for it.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

#1. How much more power are you looking for? As mentioned the quickest way to increase power is with pods and a pipe. Also as mentioned, getting the jetting right can be a bear. My wife has an '82 850L with stock airbox and pipes. Power does not seem to be a problem for normal situations. "Normal situations" in our case involves summer trips at least 2,000 miles long and weekend trips to the mountains of West Virginia. True, the bike is not what most would call a "pocket rocket", but it has adequate power for most situations.

My #2 son has an '81 850 that has stock airbox and a 4-into-1 pipe of unknown origin. I think we have the jetting sorted out, but won't know for sure until riding season comes back to oHIo. We have done a couple of short rides on it two-up and it has plenty of power for the two of us. Oh, and we're not featherweights, either. The two of us total considerably over 500 pounds.

#2. The idle speed control knob is between carbs 2&3, and is best reached from the left side, sliding your hand between the carbs and the airbox. You will probably only be able to press a finger along the edge of the knob, but you should be able to rotate it enough to lower the speed.

#3. That is a nice enough item in your link, but that is only for the crankcase breather hose. You will also have to get the set of filters for the carbs to go along with that. Be aware that in the top of the valve cover are passages that lead to the breather hose. In these passages are mesh filters that are designed to catch the oil droplets before they get to the breather hose. If the mesh is not installed, you may get enough oil through the hose to saturate the filter media on that little breather.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Punch it out
            Get aftermarket cams
            K&N Pods
            V&H 4-1 pipe
            Dynojet stage 3 kit
            Racing oil pump gear
            APE cam chain tensioner
            This could get you in the ballpark of 100HP for around $2000 if you do the work yourself.
            Talk to 49er. He has an 850 punched out to 1085 I believe. He'll tell you to keep the airbox though.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X