Electrical Panel Ground Wire Gage Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Panel Ground Wire Gage Question

Many of the early GS's or at least my GS1000E has a floating electrical parts panel under the left hand side cover where the starter relay, R&R, fuse box etc are all mounted in a tidey arrangement. We all know or have experienced first hand the charging problems which occur when the electrical panel ground wire loosens or starts building up resistance as corrision occurs. This leads to the Stator papers

My question and it may be a dumb question is this, the factory Suzuki manual starter system diagram on Pg 11-7 illustrates the starter relay electrical circuit. Since the starter relay is grounded to the electrical panel, Is the gage of the electrical ground wire gage critical to the proper operation of the Starter system? My electrical panel ground wire is 16 Gage and connected to frame were the battery ground & all other grounds are connected.

I am not sure of the answer but I believe it should not be because it's only completing the starter switch circuit. Correct me if I am wrong.

TIA
    1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

If all it does is ground the return side of the coil then yes, 16ga is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
      I am not sure of the answer but I believe it should not be because it's only completing the starter switch circuit. Correct me if I am wrong.

TIA

correct, that is only the relay switch ground wire
      GS850GT

Comment

You can put a lot of current through a single 16 ga wire at 12 volts. Nothing to prevent running a second but you want to avoid difference of potential between two ground runs. This can cause a loop where a small amount of voltage flows between them.
        The hardware you speak of floats on rubber mounts to protect the electronics from vibration.

I have a separate ground lead for my solenoid. I got stuck at Home Depot one day because of a bad ground connection on it.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
        X