Carb time! /2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb time! /2

here is my second question about my carbs.
    it involves the cleaning, I would prefer not to use the "death in a can" standard carb dip and have heard that simple green works great cleaning the gunk out. but i have also read that simple green can corrode aluminum and you should not use it.

has anyone here used it repeatedly on the same bike and not had problems? or has someone had problems that they later found to be caused by their use of simple green?
    I have read a lot of 'well studies said' but not much real world evidence either way.

thoughts?

Use the toxic puke, it works very well.

Comment

The "death in a can" is the way to go. Let 'em soak for a day each and then blow 'em out with some compressed air.

Check the float height of the carbs and adjust as needed. The manual will say what the stock jet sizes are. There should be a small number stamped into them, very difficult to see, get a magnifying glass.....Also ensure none of the idle air screw tips are broken off... wish I would've. You may want to get new float bowl gaskets if yours end up trashed. They can be used over a few times, just be careful when removing them.

Be extremely careful when removing the float pins. If you exert to much force the post will break, then you'll end up looking for a new carb body.
      There are tons of threads about this.....do a search.

It's not that difficult of a task, just stay organized and take your time.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

If you don't like using the carb dip (I've never seen it in the UK so can't comment) you might like to try stripping the carbs and boiling them in an old saucepan (not the wife's finest as it will taint). Add a drop, and only a drop, of washing up liquid.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Got my carbs operating like new by simply using the Gumout Carb Cleaner - not quite death in a can, but you do want to ensure that you've got eye protection, especially when cleaning the choke circuit!

Comment

I'm a machinist and we use simple green to wipe down our machines and work bench. I cant really see it harming aluminum or I dont think they'd let us use it everyday. But for me I'd go with the carb dip. I used to be a mechanic for small engines and I used carb dip all the time...worked great for me.

Comment

Working...
            X