Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cam chain rattle - guide #2 in the wrong way round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam chain rattle - guide #2 in the wrong way round?

After replacing the cam chain guides on my '79 GS1000S I found that there was an intermittent rattle at low revs coming from the cam chain (the cam chain is new). The rattle goes away above 2,000rpm. Today I pulled the cam cover off and found that guide # 2 (the one that goes in the head between the cams) had the arrow pointing in the opposite direction to the motion of the cam chain.

I've turned the guide around so that the arrow points in the direction of the motion of the chain. The rattle appears to have gone.

Looking at guide # 2 I can't see why it would make a difference as it presents a flat surface to the cam chain, but I can see a difference in the structure of the legs that support the guide.

Has anyone had this experience and can anyone explain why guide # 2 is uni-directional? One of life's little mysteries.....

what tensioner are you using?
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

The standard one that was always on the bike. Are there multiple types?

Comment

yes and the Suzuki tensioner is the source of many noises / engine failures.

get an APE unit and never worry again.

the slider block will not cause/solve what you have described.

Comment

How do you know when you have applied enough tension when adjusting an APE unit?

Comment

I adjust the APE tensioner with the cam cover off and feel the tension on the chain while adjusting the tensioner. When it gets just tight (maybe a 1-2cm play up and down)I tighten it up and ride.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by ianralph View Post
              How do you know when you have applied enough tension when adjusting an APE unit?
              this is a "feel" description.

to adjust you are going to want a wrench on the crank to turn it by hand. fingers on the can adjuster.

go in on the cam adjuster bolt until you feel contact , snug it up gently by fingers.

now you rock the crank back and forth and loosen or tighten the cam adjuster until you can feel the adjustment you are making tighten up and loosen.

what you want to feel for is 3~5 crank degrees of looseness which is a little play in the camchain. NEVER TIGHT!!!

Comment

Working...
              X