... wait a minute (fuel question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... wait a minute (fuel question)

So I've reinstalled the carbs and the bike won't run (see other thread... or not). I set the petcock to prime and still no good. Now, if the petcock is set to prime, that means fuel should run from the tank and fill the carbs, correct? Well, with the bike in prime, I just disconnected the fuel line to the carbs... no fuel is flowing from the tank to the carbs. WTF? Shouldn't fuel fill the float bowls with the petcock on prime?

I don't think the thing is getting any gas! Why the hell would that happen? When the bike ran out of gas, do you think it pulled some end of the tank gunk into the petcock and totally plugged it up? This is annoying. -nick

Originally posted by Clumzi View Post
    do you think it pulled some end of the tank gunk into the petcock and totally plugged it up?
    Looking at the BB Fuel tank diagram (http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-mot...t-1980/o/m6084) there is a pretty substantial screen on that petcock up inside the tank. I guess it could clog but more than likely its the petcock.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I just pulled the petcock off and the filter looks brand spanking new. But with everything hooked up the way its supposed to, fuel is not getting from the tank to the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Clumzi View Post
        I just pulled the petcock off and the filter looks brand spanking new. But with everything hooked up the way its supposed to, fuel is not getting from the tank to the carbs.
        As long as the line isn't bent or kinked, restricting the flow, it's the petcock itself.

As you probably know, it's gravity fed, if the petcock is on prime, the fuel should flow no matter what.

I guess it wasn't the spark........
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

The 1980 petcock is funky; gas may not flow even in prime until you suck on the vacuum port line for a quick burst. Give that a try and see if gas starts to flow.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Holy crap... its alive! Hurray! For whatever reason, gas finally started to flow and...

The Bike Runs!!!!!

It's been a while since it's done that! Now just replace the front fork, front brake pad, seat the airbox properly, bleed the rear brake line and she might actually run well! -nick

Comment

After 28 yrs. I still can't beleive Suzuki used that "80" model petcock on anything. No reserve & vacuum to actuate the pri. What were they thinking??? or not
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                After 28 yrs. I still can't beleive Suzuki used that "80" model petcock on anything. No reserve & vacuum to actuate the pri. What were they thinking??? or not
                my "80" has reserve and lever actuated prime.

Comment

Yeah, I'm used to it, my luck is always that way. I've had two "80" GS1100 E's, one "80" GS1000 E, & an "80" GS1000 G, all of them had only "on" & "pri", & only a screwdriver slot, in a piece of plastic to change it with. Maybe they made them especially for me & gave everyone else the more sensable ones.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Agreed that the 80 model vacuum operated prime petcock is a bad design. You have to crank to motor for it to flow fuel on prime.

Clumzi-

Short of installing a less design-challenged petcock, you may find it easier in the future to use a siphon pump to siphon some gas directly from a gas can into the carbs before re-installing the tank. The float valves will stop the fuel flow once the carbs are full. I used to do this before I installed a Pingel.

Comment

As was just said, you have to crank the motor to initiate flow on this petcock.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                      X