Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stripped screws on my carb bracket...any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped screws on my carb bracket...any suggestions?

I tried the impact wrench...some luck...but only on a few of the screws holding the bracket on. I then tried using my easy-out drill bits. The only thing that did was drill a huge hole in the screw heads.

How in the world do you get out a screw that has a big hole in the top?

Re: Stripped screws on my carb bracket...any suggestions?

All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

If that fails, and you're rebuilding the carbs anyhow,VERY, VERY CAREFULLY heat up the aluminum with a propane or mapp gas torch, NOT Oxy-acetylene!!! Be VERY CAREFUL not to get too hot, as the AL. does not get red hot, it just skins up and then goes liquid, use channel locks (pump pliers) to grasp head of screw(while still piping hot) and remove. BE CAREFUL or you'll end up with a pile of slag, and once again, BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET TOO HOT (it's a VERY fine line!!!) !!!!!

Comment

I used a pair of needle nose vice grips to remove one of the screws. The bolts aren't really tight in most cases, it's just the crappy screws, so it should come out easily. If you accidentally break the head off of the screw it should come out easily with the ez-outs as there won't be anything putting pressure on the threads.

Steve

Comment

Rudi, maybe you should move this to the tech section (please read letters to the editor "general discussion heading") posting tech questions in general discusion is one thing Frank really dissaproves of.............skip

Comment

I cut a slot in the head with a dremel and a cut off wheel.

Earl
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

vise grips work x-cellent

Comment

Drill the heads off the screws and then grasp the leftover with vise grips and get new screws.
                Dink

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
                  I used a pair of needle nose vice grips to remove one of the screws....Steve
                  That is exactly what we did. Screws are now out and will be replaced with socket head screws.

Hap

Comment

Get yourself one of those hammer screw drivers.

I used one of those spring loaded screw drivers that you hit with a hammer. Once you get the hang of using it you can get most screws out with no problem. I take it with me to the pick a part yard religiously. I get parts that most people have given up on.

Comment

Rudi, How's the carb rebuild coming along? Are you teaching Ali cat how to get all those little parts . I will be sending your air screw tomorrow morning, anything else you need? Lemme know......

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
                        Rudi, How's the carb rebuild coming along? Are you teaching Ali cat how to get all those little parts . I will be sending your air screw tomorrow morning, anything else you need? Lemme know......
                        Hey Tim! The carb rebuild is coming along nicely. I've taken apart two of 'em...and cleaned them. I also got my o-ring kit from that guy you told me about. Thanks for the tip! I'm picking up my gaskets today.

Will be trying to assemble the carbs back together tonight. Wish me luck. And thank you in advance for sending that air screw! :-)

Rudi

Comment

Working...
                        X