Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

83GS550E LOOK what i found in my engine case!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83GS550E LOOK what i found in my engine case!

Found a Sharpie Marker case inserted into the lower engine case.

Pulled it out and oil leaked out a lot like maple syrup.

So my question is was the PO a genious for putting this in their to stop oil from leaking out while one replaces the gasket?

Not sure why oil would be coming out of this hole since there is nowhere for it to go into the stator case, i see a hole inside the tube of the case but don't know why oil would be in there.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-06-2008, 08:52 PM.

my good god that is bizarre
    its just a passive drain back to the sump from the stator I believe.

amazing thermal proeprties in a sharpie case
    I cannot fathom why anyone would risk allowing melted goo that would burn in hotter engine places into their engine

perhaps you can contact the folks at Sharpie and get into an ad campaign based on the durability of their pens?

Comment

Thanks for th equick reply i feel better knowing what the hole is there for, but yeah what a shock when i found it there.

Comment

I guess your bike has 'The Write Stuff'...

Comment

LOL ( i knew that was coming )

Comment

No way! Dude, you have one thing after another on that ride. Hat's off to you for keeping your head up while you restore this thing to respectability.

That's crazy that the Sharpie held up in there. Wow!

Comment

Seriously i was shocked i at first thought it was a spacer but the does not show anything not even a metal dowel to align the stator case in that location.

Thought everyone would feel a lot better about their rides after seeing this!

I love this bike and i know it's had a hard life, and with everyone who has helped with advice it would be sad to give up on her now.

Besides gotta keep you guys on your toes!-lol

Comment

On the '83-'86 GS550E/ES that cavity gets pressurized oil from the oil pump. It is sealed separately from the stator, and, unfortunately, with the same gasket. If you look carefully at the engine you'll see that there are two mating surfaces that aren't connected. I've rebuilt my engine, replaced all the seals and gaskets, rebuilt the carbs, etc., etc., and that one gasket still leaks a little bit no matter what I do to it. One of many POs slathered JB Weld underneath it on the other engine I used to run, so it must be a common problem.

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
                  On the '83-'86 GS550E/ES that cavity gets pressurized oil from the oil pump. It is sealed separately from the stator, and, unfortunately, with the same gasket. If you look carefully at the engine you'll see that there are two mating surfaces that aren't connected. I've rebuilt my engine, replaced all the seals and gaskets, rebuilt the carbs, etc., etc., and that one gasket still leaks a little bit no matter what I do to it. One of many POs slathered JB Weld underneath it on the other engine I used to run, so it must be a common problem.

You right about the two surfaces and there is no hole from the stator to this connecting to this cavity.

It was leaking so i ordered the oem gasket, originally i replaced the gasket and put orange silicone RTV it did work and had no leaks.

But i had to replace the rotor so taking it off and putting it back on just ruined the paper gasket.

I think that so long as the gasket is oem and mating surfaces really clean and the proper torque sequence is followed it should stay leak free. Mine was till the rotor replacement.

The factory manual does say to put Suzuki Bond in two spots the left and right sides to prevent leaks.

Thanks

Comment

I think I've seen it all, now. Maybe that's where he "stored" the marker while he was taking notes on the repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                      I think I've seen it all, now. Maybe that's where he "stored" the marker while he was taking notes on the repairs.

HA HA you had to see the look on my face when i pulled it out of the cavity.

I know from posts on this site that PO's are blamed for a lot of quick fixes but my goodness this was a first even for me.

Granted at least we all know what to use as a high temperature plastic if the need arises-lol

Needless to say i removed it and has not leaked so i'm very happy now.

Comment

Working...
                      X